Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Trent_Bennett t1_j2zv9mg wrote

Yeah but we are totally forgetting they are leaving since 2 years and a half their most profitable market (10 πŸ† with some big ass tourneys) and like billions in endorsements, ads and everything else. It's like ok I'm gonna cut my throat at 65% just to stand for civil rights and just for one single player. They need to be recognized all days in media coverage, all year long in every sport talks, just in this manner china will be slowly called out, and maybe won't change shit but at least u put pressure on'em. Instead nobody gives a shit and we are releasing a dope ass Netflix series to not think about this atrocious situation.

Yes, when u see a fucking video with your wta player alone in an empty stadium, saying "it's all right folks, nobody is haunting me" with a fear look in her face (bc her family is probably under torture or something) and 10 fake ass players all smiling simultaneously.

Yes u know things are real bad. But this is the way china operate.

trou_bucket_list t1_j30hjih wrote

What are you even trying to say?

tiempo90 t1_j31gphw wrote

I will do my best and translate it to English... My translation's in bold.

>Yeah but we are totally forgetting they are leaving since 2 years and a half their most profitable market (10 πŸ† with some big ass tourneys) and like billions in endorsements, ads and everything else.
>
>Translation: "We are forgetting that the WTO have already made a shit ton of money in China." (So, essentially, the WTO has gained 'enough' from China and can choose to stay out)
>
>It's like ok I'm gonna cut my throat at 65% just to stand for civil rights and just for one single player.
>
>Translation: ?? Mental gymnastics: "This Chinese tennis lady risked her life to stand up for civil rights in China."
>
>They need to be recognized all days in media coverage, all year long in every sport talks, just in this manner china will be slowly called out, and maybe won't change shit but at least u put pressure on'em.
>
>Translation: "Our media need to cover this situation all year long, in all sports programs, to keep on calling out China and keep this in the limelight. This action probably won't induce them to change, but at least there is pressure for them to change; the world is watching and are not forgetting"
>
>Instead nobody gives a shit and we are releasing a dope ass Netflix series to not think about this atrocious situation.
>
>Translation: Instead, our media (and we) stopped giving a shit about her, and instead were focused on the next Netflix series.
>
>Yes, when u see a fucking video with your wta player alone in an empty stadium, saying "it's all right folks, nobody is haunting me" with a fear look in her face (bc her family is probably under torture or something) and 10 fake ass players all smiling simultaneously. Yes u know things are real bad. But this is the way china operate.
>
>Translation: The situation for her is bad. Her video saying that she is "OK" was clearly coerced, maybe because her family was held hostage / "tortured or something". You could see the fear in her eyes. But this is totally normal in China.

dillybravo t1_j31i1re wrote

I understood differently:

WTA makes most of their money from China. (Not they made tons OK to stay out but the opposite---China was a huge part of their business and they've suffered 2.5 years already without it).

This is like them deciding they're good to make only 65% of what they used to just for this one cause, which is a major thing to do.

We should recognize that sacrifice everywhere all the time. That will pressure China.

Rest the same although I don't know about "we" live in fear, didn't see any indication poster was living in China.

tiempo90 t1_j31kqh2 wrote

> I don't know about "we" live in fear, didn't see any indication poster was living in China.

Yeah I just like 'reading beyond the lines'.... Removed it anyhow, might be disingenuous.

Fingolfiin t1_j310gzn wrote

Yeah that is a stunning paragraph saying nothing, but it still feels like it's making an attempt

Trent_Bennett t1_j31exbu wrote

Wta left tons of money on the table trying to "protect" Shuai.

But anger took over me and i lost my shit throughout it.

At the end of the day it's one of those atrocities that won't be speak about after some weeks

Exactly what happened with Peng "incident"

−5

Agente006 t1_j30ho3l wrote

If that's how china operates then fuck em. FUCK THEM

Gerbennos t1_j30c54b wrote

"hey guys I'm totally not a bot or a China shill"

eldertortoise t1_j3158k0 wrote

You didn't read the comment did you?

tiempo90 t1_j31gye3 wrote

It was hard to understand, seriously... I did a translation (to English), see above

Haldir111 t1_j31hn3u wrote

It was gibberish, but blatantly not pro-China. lol

eldertortoise t1_j31kj4v wrote

Exactly, it was hard to understand but calling him pro China is just weird

menghis_khan08 t1_j31uxf9 wrote

And it’s actually some pretty good gibberish with some solid points, worded absolutely horribly

SCirish843 t1_j30ujc4 wrote

You think China provides BILLIONS in womens tennis endorsements?