Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j92kwdo wrote

Good: there are tons of options if you like dining out. Cost of living is low overall. Lots of natural areas if you like spending time outdoors. The people are in general friendlier and more open than a lot of places. Good healthcare for a town its size. It's easy to navigate because the streets are set up in a grid. If you like theme parks Silver Dollar City is a short drive, and it's pretty good.

Bad: low wages, lack of opportunity, especially in the tech sector. High crime, especially for a city its size. Huge homeless population the city refuses to help. Lack of mental healthcare, it's almost non-existent unless you can pay for private. Traffic is balls and getting worse. Housing is more expensive than it has any right to be. MSU is a regional university no matter how many times they change their name, and doesn't bring the kind of advantages a larger university like MU does.

Ugly: more racism and bigotry than central MO. The north side is in decay. Panhandlers on every corner. Local government is a good ol' boys network that are in bed with developers.

bendadian1 t1_j93tski wrote

The one thing I would add a large majority of the crime is not random acts. Almost all of it is drug or money related fights

throwawayyyycuk t1_j93y0v7 wrote

Yeah, came here to say this. If you’re not buying meth I doubt you will have a serious problem with crime

Goofterslam1 t1_j94rwfr wrote

Until a meth head breaks into your car and leaves his dimebag of meth on the floor. Happened at the Burrell parking lot. Didn't find it until we got home. Called the cops and they tested and positively identified it as meth in my kitchen lol

Low_Tourist t1_j96uedv wrote

Used to be this way, but crime is becoming more random and heat of the moment type things. Less "beef" crime.

Deceptivejunk t1_j94vw9e wrote

Only thing I disagree with is the traffic. I’ve lived in several places and the traffic and roads here are heaven compared to a lot of cities.

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j95cwtx wrote

I didn't say Springfield traffic is the worst in the country, did I?There's always going to be somewhere worse, it doesn't make Springfield less bad.

−6

Deceptivejunk t1_j9ac5n7 wrote

Perhaps it’s just a matter of perspective then. Again, I think the traffic is fine, you can still get from one end of Springfield to another in 20 minutes or less. If you consider that bad, then I’d be interested to hear what you think is good.

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j9ap3kl wrote

I would point to things like sitting through three cycles of the light at Battlefield and Kansas, or trying to head south on Campbell at 5:30pm, or navigating that absolute clusterfuck around Republic Rd, Kansas, and James River. Or trying to get anywhere on Glenstone any time of day.