Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

417SKCFAN t1_j1qi2cx wrote

No, there were 2700 flights cancelled Thursday, 5900 Friday, 3400 Saturday, and 3100 Sunday. Already 1700 and climbing today. Somewhere around 17,000 flights cancelled in 5 days with over 1/4 million passengers impacted. Everywhere is impacted, entire airports have closed (Seattle, Buffalo).

Normally I try to stay in the southern airports out of Springfield in winter, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte. Usually it’s Dallas because American has the most presence at SGF and Dallas has onsite hotels and more food options. If I hit trouble I can still route through Charlotte or Chicago.

The real issue is traveling without an emergency strategy, look into credit cards with trip delay and cancellation protections if you can.

PotentialCalm OP t1_j27r1q6 wrote

That’s great advice, thank you! We booked with United so my only affordable option was to connect in Denver, but I think next time I’ll connect in Dallas no matter the airline. And yes I’ll definitely have some emergency money next time, just in case. Also won’t be flying out after a blizzard