Submitted by honeyliz03 t3_100pr8m in springfieldMO

1. what exactly is the chase building behind the alamo? is it some sort of administration building since we have no chase banks in sgf?

2. can y'all drive a little faster? like, at least going the actual speed limit, faster?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j2j36e1 wrote

1. Mostly a call center, but there are a few other departments there as well.

2. I drive 5 over the limit, like most people. If you tailgate me I will slow down to 5 under until you back off or go around.

-lurkbeforeyouleap- t1_j2lldmr wrote

Serious question for people who relate to #2. Why do this? Why not just keep driving the speed you want and ignore the tailgater? Going slower defeats the purpose you were speeding for in the first place. And it brings the tailgater potentially closer yet.

−9

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j2lr556 wrote

> until you back off or go around.

Does that not explain it? I want them to back off to a safe distance so they don't rear-end me if I have to stop suddenly for some reason. On a two lane road they can just pass me, which is what they should have done in the first place--I don't camp out in the left lane.

If someone consistently needs to drive 10-15 miles over the limit, then they should be allotting more time for driving in their schedule. Their poor planning is not my problem.

-lurkbeforeyouleap- t1_j2lrtkc wrote

Slowing down will only increase the odds of getting rear ended though. They will get more upset if you slow down and they can’t get around you. If they could get around you and they are already tailgating then they will go around you either way whether or not you slow down. If they need to be in your lane because they are turning, again, slowing down will only increase the odds of being rear ended. So…slowing down will more than likely increase your odds of being rear ended. Maintaining your speed is statistically the best option.

−7

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j2ltdty wrote

That's not my experience. Nine out of ten times they back off or pass, as appropriate. I don't jam my brakes on, I'm not brake checking them, I just ease off on the accelerator.

If they're in my lane because they need to turn, then they turn and the problem resolves itself.

My slowing down to a still-within-reason speed of 35 in a 40 is not the issue causing accidents. People following too closely and driving 55 in a 40, or 40 in school zone is the safety issue here. It's not my responsibility to manage someone else's emotions and actions behind the wheel.

-lurkbeforeyouleap- t1_j2n2xdl wrote

Exactly. It’s not your responsibility to manage someone else’s emotions and actions behind the wheel. Keep driving the way you were. Anything else in trying to manage the situation. See my reply where what I said is the exact guidance offered by Progressive Insurance.

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j2njxtd wrote

That's not what I meant by "managing their actions," I was referring to someone becoming so enraged that they lose control and cause an accident. You already knew that but chose to twist my words to make your point.

What Progressive says is all well and good, and a good thing for an insurance company to say, but it's not going to stop anyone from tailgating me.

I'm sure they also say not to tailgate, so clearly none of us are following their advice out there.

NotATroll1234 t1_j2mqnow wrote

No, it really won't. If I, the lead car, am driving slower, I have a greater reaction time for what's ahead of me. If they're already upset that I'm not doing 10+ over, then start riding my ass to the point that I decide to slow down, I don't care how much more upset they get. And if they rear-end me due to their own impatience, that's on them. No matter their reason, if they're traveling too close for my comfort, I'll start maliciously complying with the speed limit.

While living in another state for a few years, I was maintaining adequate distance on the interstate, until someone jumped in the gap and slammed on his brakes, causing me to hit him. I would've been able to stop, had the gap been there, but this 🤡 had other ideas. And I still was fined for "following too close", despite how it happened. So yeah, I'm cautious. And as it's already been mentioned, I also don't do this in the passing lane when there is one. You want to pass me? Pass me.

tdawg-1551 t1_j2j2sbh wrote

>2. can y'all drive a little faster? like, at least going the actual speed limit, faster?

Not just drive up to speed limit, but get there faster from a stop. Not saying treat it like a drag race, but it shouldn't take a mile to get to 40 mph on Chestnut.

jerry1deadhead t1_j2jpt11 wrote

I SO agree! Takes forever for locals to get up to speed. And also...how about NOT slamming on brakes when approaching a green light?

Ryanqzqz t1_j2k10la wrote

Well, it takes so long to get up to speed they’re just anticipating that they won’t make the green light.. lol

nrmay t1_j2khzpg wrote

No, I drive how I feel comfortable driving. And the chase building is a call center

growth-or-happiness t1_j2jeg6x wrote

The Chase building is a call center, and may have the only atm for Chase in the state. It is next to the cafeteria. Used to have a full server room close to that as well, but not so much anymore. It is mostly network equipment to connect to serving sites. Like very large server room. Not so much. There should be general customer service, and maybe airline queues, but now idk so much.

growth-or-happiness t1_j2k5pvq wrote

When they cut off sales and pay outs for balance transfers (all predatory) they lost money and new hires as well. So they raised the wage for new hires but not current workers. That is my memory. And IT, which was me, either move with no raise or take your severance and that is it. So I left.

Dizzy-Assignment-591 t1_j2jlnht wrote

it’s always been crazy to me that they have that massive building but no branch

MorphinDorphin t1_j2kg2it wrote

Could also hold servers so your chase cards work too

EngryEngineer t1_j36zk8o wrote

People going the speed limit on Campbell, we can dream 😄