Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j2lr556 wrote

Reply to comment by -lurkbeforeyouleap- in two questions: by honeyliz03

> until you back off or go around.

Does that not explain it? I want them to back off to a safe distance so they don't rear-end me if I have to stop suddenly for some reason. On a two lane road they can just pass me, which is what they should have done in the first place--I don't camp out in the left lane.

If someone consistently needs to drive 10-15 miles over the limit, then they should be allotting more time for driving in their schedule. Their poor planning is not my problem.

-lurkbeforeyouleap- t1_j2lrtkc wrote

Slowing down will only increase the odds of getting rear ended though. They will get more upset if you slow down and they can’t get around you. If they could get around you and they are already tailgating then they will go around you either way whether or not you slow down. If they need to be in your lane because they are turning, again, slowing down will only increase the odds of being rear ended. So…slowing down will more than likely increase your odds of being rear ended. Maintaining your speed is statistically the best option.

−7

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j2ltdty wrote

That's not my experience. Nine out of ten times they back off or pass, as appropriate. I don't jam my brakes on, I'm not brake checking them, I just ease off on the accelerator.

If they're in my lane because they need to turn, then they turn and the problem resolves itself.

My slowing down to a still-within-reason speed of 35 in a 40 is not the issue causing accidents. People following too closely and driving 55 in a 40, or 40 in school zone is the safety issue here. It's not my responsibility to manage someone else's emotions and actions behind the wheel.

-lurkbeforeyouleap- t1_j2n2xdl wrote

Exactly. It’s not your responsibility to manage someone else’s emotions and actions behind the wheel. Keep driving the way you were. Anything else in trying to manage the situation. See my reply where what I said is the exact guidance offered by Progressive Insurance.

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j2njxtd wrote

That's not what I meant by "managing their actions," I was referring to someone becoming so enraged that they lose control and cause an accident. You already knew that but chose to twist my words to make your point.

What Progressive says is all well and good, and a good thing for an insurance company to say, but it's not going to stop anyone from tailgating me.

I'm sure they also say not to tailgate, so clearly none of us are following their advice out there.

NotATroll1234 t1_j2mqnow wrote

No, it really won't. If I, the lead car, am driving slower, I have a greater reaction time for what's ahead of me. If they're already upset that I'm not doing 10+ over, then start riding my ass to the point that I decide to slow down, I don't care how much more upset they get. And if they rear-end me due to their own impatience, that's on them. No matter their reason, if they're traveling too close for my comfort, I'll start maliciously complying with the speed limit.

While living in another state for a few years, I was maintaining adequate distance on the interstate, until someone jumped in the gap and slammed on his brakes, causing me to hit him. I would've been able to stop, had the gap been there, but this 🤡 had other ideas. And I still was fined for "following too close", despite how it happened. So yeah, I'm cautious. And as it's already been mentioned, I also don't do this in the passing lane when there is one. You want to pass me? Pass me.