Submitted by OkDiscussion9395 t3_1036y7y in springfieldMO

Hey everyone -

I am relatively new to town. A live about 30 minutes from Springfield but currently work in software development in town. I am curious what companies are considered to have the top tier software development positions in Springfield, MO. All responses are appreciated!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

nacixenom t1_j2xadt8 wrote

Moved back here a few years ago but working remotely for a large company in STL.

I've got no plans to work for any company here, not a lot of choices and low pay from what I have heard. I'd maybe consider Expedia just because I know a few people from college work there.

Cloud_Disconnected t1_j2xempv wrote

I also worked there for several years. Everyone thinks it's a great place to work, but we both know that in reality they have been riding their reputation as a good employer for years.

Everyone in my department was either forced out or fired so they could replace us with cheaper labor. It's a shame because it was, at one point, a good place to work.

Young_Reezy415 t1_j2xfd8e wrote

I left Springfield cause there was no normal jobs good luck

Anima_EB t1_j2xjgz1 wrote

Just gonna reiterate what was already said. Look for remote jobs from STL or somewhere else. I work remote for a company in STL. Much better opportunities.

Beyond-Available t1_j2xq7ad wrote

Like others, I now work remotely — for an agency out of California, personally. If you’re relatively new to the field, I think local work is a reasonable place to get your foot in the door. Junior remote positions seem harder to come by and I’d be concerned about how effectively you’d be able to learn from others in that environment.

It seems to me that Microsoft application programming is relatively big here, with Jack Henry being a large part of that. Being more interested in web development, I personally got on at Classy Llama a while back and I feel like, while the culture is weird and not for everybody, it was a great place to get technical experience that has led to me nearly tripling my salary and getting freelance work opportunities I might not have had otherwise. Mostly Serious also looks like a great place to work as a web dev though I’ve not personally worked with them.

At a certain point, like others, I did begin to feel like there was too little opportunity (and money, frankly) to stay local so I went remote and don’t anticipate going back local any time soon.

Netzapper t1_j2xt7xi wrote

Another remote tech worker (senior software architect) here. Infinitely better opportunities than the piddly shit that's here.

dreaminginbinary t1_j2ysrcp wrote

My first job out of college was a local healthcare software company. I went remote after two years - the tech scene in Springfield seems pretty sparse.

dannyjbixby t1_j2ytugi wrote

The best Springfield tech jobs are remote jobs from larger cities. The local ones are trash and terrible pay.

lemler3 t1_j30y9qc wrote

I've been needing a remote job myself. I'm getting old

Throw_sharks t1_j37meld wrote

I've also heard stories about the "weird culture" at Classy Llama. Heard the CEO asks you about religion during some sort of weird walk through the park during an interview. Other than that I've heard it's a great place to work though.