Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

OTwhattheF t1_j32zzkl wrote

This is all just my own take, others may disagree. But I think in the current market, $3500 is not going to get you much. If you need reliable transportation for work, you will want to consider upping your budget and accepting a small car payment.

Otherwise, something in that price range is going to have extremely high mileage and be at risk of breaking down and leaving you stranded at any given moment.

HowManyChucks t1_j33jrry wrote

Former car salesman here. As I’m sure you’re aware, and as people here have already pointed out, you’ll get what you pay for. That being said, I applaud you for trying to avoid a payment and there are certainly things out there you can find to get by.

Look for a 15+ year old (‘06-‘08) Honda or Toyota. I prefer Honda, but Toyota is certainly comparable. An Accord or Pilot (if you want the SUV) can be found in that price range, especially if you’re willing to travel to KC/STL or similar. You will have to accept “high” mileage, but both brands have excellent longevity records (I’m currently driving a pilot with 400K+ miles and it runs beautifully).

You probably won’t find either at a big dealership (mark-ups are crazy) but smaller lots or even individuals will be your best bet.

Good luck and reach out with questions.

SharksForArms t1_j33yryu wrote

I've been driving an 01 Toyota Tacoma for my entire adult life and it has been a really wonderful vehicle. Will get passed down to my stepson in another year or two.

I had the suspension replaced about a year ago because it started to creak, but the engine has been rock solid despite the extreme neglect I showed it early on.

LurkingOakleaf t1_j38hxmv wrote

How do you tell when you need the suspension looked at? I’ve got a Honda that I’m thinking might need it- right at 100k miles but it’s been on a lot of back roads

SharksForArms t1_j38j6t5 wrote

Because you could hear my truck coming down the road from a block and a half away lol. Squeak squeak squeak

malevolentk t1_j34s2vk wrote

How do you feel about newer CR-Vs?

Have been looking for a small suv and they are near the top of my list thanks to a 97 civic that I drove for 10 years and still see around after selling to a neighbor

pizza1sgr8 t1_j34uot6 wrote

Not who you replied to, but I have a 2016 Honda CRV & I love it!!

HowManyChucks t1_j34v82w wrote

Love them. But just the newer ones. Late 2010’s and newer. They had some weirdness for awhile, but when they redesigned and started using the bigger chassis, things seemed to improve. It was about the time the newer accords dropped as well. If I was in the market for a small SUV, they’d be at the top of my list as well, along with the Passport.

[deleted] OP t1_j32zwif wrote

[deleted]

22TopShelf22 t1_j35q697 wrote

Corwin is terrible. Read their real reviews on Google if you can sift them from the fake 5 start reviews it appears they pay for. They're absolute trash at that place.

22TopShelf22 t1_j33u8sa wrote

Avoid Corwin. They're rotten people.

insertsnamehere- t1_j3415v1 wrote

Do not. Do NOT. Go to reliable chevy. I've had good experiences with the 3 cars ive got from corwin new and used.

lincoln3x7 t1_j34payq wrote

For $3,500 you will only get higher mileage vehicles… shop on Facebook marketplace look for a Toyota (scion) or honda… an older Buick is also very reliable and try and buy from an actual owner who can give you history, not some flipper. Most of the bigger dealerships will not have anything in that price range. And the local used lots will be a real dice roll for quality and help.

Like this guy: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2041156532741870/

Buick with just over 100k miles, tags show 2023 so its getting driven and most likely cared for. Good luck

famichikiherushi t1_j37235u wrote

A buick, pontiac or Oldsmobile with a 3800/3.8l v6 would be the mechanics choice, but a 4 cyl. Toyota or Honda would be simpler to work on

snorlaxatives_69 t1_j334y19 wrote

I was in a time crunch back in 2016 when I got my car. Got it at Youngblood Kia on the corner of Campbell and Walnut Lawn. I was there a good chunk of my day, but left with a car and a nice low payment.

Shadow11Wolf50 t1_j343ka0 wrote

Avoid Corwin. On the mechanic side they couldnt even do a full engine and transmission diagnostic like i asked. Im still having issues with my Ford and we still dont know exactly whats causing it but they missed shit they would of found if they had actually done the full diagnostic. On the Dealership side I read somewhere Ford is considering doing away with dealerships due to dealerships jacking up prices on vehicles by up to 200%. Plus someone I know got a shitty deal trying to get a new car at Corwin. If you go new avoid Corwin and you should be ok If you go used make sure you take someone whos mechanically inclined and have them check out any car you look at to make sure the engine, transmission and head gasket is good. Best of luck

of_patrol_bot t1_j343lhu wrote

Hello, it looks like you've made a mistake.

It's supposed to be could've, should've, would've (short for could have, would have, should have), never could of, would of, should of.

Or you misspelled something, I ain't checking everything.

Beep boop - yes, I am a bot, don't botcriminate me.

−2

CCrabtree t1_j34owu0 wrote

I would suggest Reliable Toyota. I can honestly the experience was great! Not high pressure, honest, gave us great money for our trade in.

CCrabtree t1_j34oxp4 wrote

I would suggest Reliable Toyota. I can honestly the experience was great! Not high pressure, honest, gave us great money for our trade in.

toucansammi t1_j36sxjf wrote

There’s a great little dealer called Clouse Motor Company. When I’ve used them before I called up and told them my budget and what I wanted and they picked up an option for me the next time they went to auction. And I ended up loving what they chose and it was within my budget. Definitely recommend.

OkDiscussion9395 t1_j378zcy wrote

All of these people saying $3500 is not enough are crazy in my opinion. My old college roommate, whom is now a psychologist, STILL TO THIS DAY drives the same 1990 something Toyota Camry. Never had any issues with it. I think he had $1000 in the car, before it got hit. The people paid him out for the damage and he pocketed it, leaving him with negative money in the car, let alone a car payment.

​

TLDR: If you really want to avoid car payments (I am right there with you and applaud that), there are options out here. The first few responses I read did not give me much hope that message was being conveyed and I KNOW it definitely very possible. Goodluck with your search. ALSOOOO.. if you are willing to pay cash, why use the dealership? I would check out facebook marketplace and craigslist and wait for a good deal to pop up, heck maybe its a car for $4200 that you get them to agree to $3500 on.. A dealership is going to sell you on the opposite.. a $2750 car they sold you for $3500 + silly fees. I would avoid that if it was up to me.