Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

EcoAffinity t1_j3pwp6f wrote

On the parents getting shit on in the comments: I feel like that's the problem with people these days. Those comments are horrific, but it seems par for the course for these parts. They have lost all sense of compassion. And a small part of me feels like some are especially vitriolic because the family isn't white. Of course, Pat isn't either, but "he's the good kind who's done good for us etc etc". I just don't think the comments would be quite the same if it was a nice white middle class family.

Plus the number of comments saying KY3 is like all other media (liars)/NBC affiliate/etc. It's the damn MAGA talking points about the big scary "mainstream media". Ashley Reynolds is a citizen of our community, not some scary Liberal Communist Satan worshipper or whatever the hell people are enraged with these days. Her report genuinely seemed to give a fair shake at the story from both sides, and I think Pat gave his honest to God truth on his mistakes and ownership of the situation.

Ozarkian_Tritip OP t1_j3r8xgr wrote

The comments on there are supportive of him because of what he's done for the community, not because of his race or anything like that. It's from the fan page for his restaurant. God damn this subreddit loves to try to find racist subtones when there are none. Trust me, there's plenty of racism in town but not everything is.

EcoAffinity t1_j3rf2tp wrote

You didn't understand what I was saying. It's not about his race or about the comments in support of him. It's about the vitriol being spewed directly towards the family whose daughter drowned.

stone500 t1_j3rlp0l wrote

On the point of Ashley,

while she's unquestionably done some good work, let's not forget that local news are often garbage entities who try to make stories out of nothing. I'm not saying this is nothing, but the goal of local news stations is to get stories.