Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9qyn2j wrote

I don't know a single teenage girl that hasn't gotten anxious and thought it was about her body image, it's nature

−10

DanielPhermous t1_j9r1v53 wrote

> it's nature

Or possibly it's our culture, or her parents, or her environment, or her friends, or social media, or media, or advertising - or all of the above.

Let's not blame the gender when it could easily be any number of ubiquitous factors.

k0nstantine t1_j9tg2ot wrote

He's replying to the topic of the article, which is teenage girls. No one is blaming the gender. What you're attempting to refute is that body image issues are part of nature. I would love to see your evidence that they are not.

Depression was invented when Myspace came out and before video games there was no violence. /s

DanielPhermous t1_j9ti4rt wrote

> What you're attempting to refute is that body image issues are part of nature.

I refuted nothing of the sort. You're reading into my comment what you want to see, presumably so you can have a nice, cathartic argument.

No, my point was that there are many factors at play and simply - and only - blaming the gender is simplistic and could easily be read as sexist.

k0nstantine t1_j9tloy7 wrote

...you quoted the part saying "its nature" and made your argument against this being a natural part of human psyche, then tried to invent a new argument about "blaming the gender" where *no one* in this article or comments has said this was only one gender, or the fault of the gender. What are you smokin, I want some

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9r20yc wrote

If it happens in every culture, is it nature or nurture?

−4

DanielPhermous t1_j9r503v wrote

Every culture has, at some point, relegated women to be lesser members of society. That tends to linger in a culture.

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9r5il6 wrote

Women, especially going through puberty, are going to have more self image issues. We are always trying to find someone to blame. Is it unnatural to say that boys have more risk taking behavior in their teen years? No. So why is this so crazy?

−3

DanielPhermous t1_j9r6fvs wrote

> Women, especially going through puberty, are going to have more self image issues.

But you suggested that's all it is. Do you honestly think that, say, advertising with all the perfect models on show there, has no impact on the self-image of girls and women?

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9r74on wrote

I think it exacerbates what's already there, but I do not see a solution to that, how would you stop that? This article is just an anecdote and not news to anyone. It started with magazines, then MTV, now the Internet... it will never go away. Girls will always find a way to compare themselves to other girls. The only solution is dealing directly with the women that are being advertised to. Self-esteem starts from within.. putting blinders on these girls won't help. I'm sorry if I come off as impatient.. It's hard to be compassionate when you see things like this

Noman800 t1_j9rwu0k wrote

This article is citing a professor who has collected a pretty significant body of studies showing that social media has directly caused a significant increase in mental health issues in adolescence girls.

It's not just an anecdote, it's far more than this article. Did you read it?

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9rz832 wrote

This is news to no one, there are a litany of studies about women and low self-esteem, It's just natural

Noman800 t1_j9rzfu7 wrote

So you're just an ass who didn't read any of the studies. Good to know so I don't waste my time.

Rexia2022 t1_j9r6ymx wrote

How do you know it happens in every culture, do you have any data?

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9r7ivk wrote

Do you know one where this is not the case?  If you can't think of a single exception on your own, maybe that indicates a pattern with nature.

Rexia2022 t1_j9r7sy9 wrote

You're the one making the claim. If you can't provide the evidence you based the claim on you're clearly just making things up.

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9r8enj wrote

That's not how that works, you can't prove a negative.

Rexia2022 t1_j9r8t8i wrote

That's not proving a negative. You've said teenage girls have body image issues in every culture, so show me the data on body image issues in every culture. Or just admit you don't know if that's actually true.

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9r98me wrote

If you are being intellectually honest with yourself and you can't think of one culture, maybe there's a problem

[deleted] t1_j9r9on1 wrote

[removed]

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9ra0p3 wrote

Keep believing in Santa my friend, i'm sure if you look through every single chimney in the world you'll find him 😂

[deleted] t1_j9ra5q6 wrote

[removed]

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9rae22 wrote

"Santa doesn't exist"

"oh yeah, show me every chimney in the world then or you're just a liar"

Women have more self-esteem issues in most societies throughout most of time.. hold on, let me get you a list of all of time. Do you know what pedantry means?

[deleted] t1_j9rb0hh wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_j9rbamt wrote

[removed]

Rexia2022 t1_j9rbzlc wrote

There is no other actual discussion, why would anyone discuss opinions you form by just going with what kinda feels right?

Anyhow, this point it's pretty clear I'm basically talking to an advanced parrot, you can say the words but there's no real human thought behind them. I'm not wasting more time on that.

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9r9h75 wrote

It's so intellectually lazy, it's like saying "based off evidence we don't think Santa is true", but you want a camera in every chimney, Pedantry at its best.

Rexia2022 t1_j9r9ut8 wrote

That's proving a negative, i.e. the nonexistent of Santa. You made a positive claim that you can't prove.