Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ZippyTheWonderSnail t1_j8zxiv2 wrote

Shall I make cite examples where polls were laughably wrong? Polls that used the same math?

Polls are only as good as the questions asked, and the data collected. The more local, the easier it is to get them right. A small sample size is a more accurate picture.

Any polling sample size needs to reflect the size of the group being sampled.

TbonerT t1_j9103ep wrote

No, you shall sit, down, shut up, and learn about what makes this a good poll versus to the bad ones you know about.

ZippyTheWonderSnail t1_j92b6yo wrote

There are zero people who are dumb enough to think 1200 internet users, who can anonymously self report both demographics and location, represent the population of 27 million people.

No amount of "the math is sound" will translate into "the conclusion is meaningful".

TbonerT t1_j93dlxx wrote

They link the report from the survey, which includes the efforts they went through, which I already mentioned, to ensure it isn’t some bullshit survey like you see on IG. This is how actual scientific polling is done. I’ve already given you two examples of how accurate this school is in conducting their polls. If you want to wallow in ignorance, go ahead, but please wallow silently.

ZippyTheWonderSnail t1_j992pni wrote

There is a saying in computer science.

Garbage in, garbage out.

TbonerT t1_j9aap57 wrote

Yes, I’m familiar with that phrase. What you are seeing on insta polls is garbage in, garbage out. What you are seeing with this scientific poll is the opposite. I literally quoted previous results showing that their polls very closely match reality, because that’s what they do. What they do is data in, data out. Do you understand how that’s different?

ZippyTheWonderSnail t1_j9bfxhv wrote

I feel like this is a pedantic debate.

It is true that the statistics math works.

It is a non sequitur that therefore the conclusions are correct in a broader context than the sample warrants.

The data only tells us that, among the relatively small sample, there is a general consensus. However, the sample size is only large enough to draw conclusions on maybe a county level.

The sample would need to cover a broader sample of Texas citizens and be larger to be relevant. For 27 million people, you'd need a sample size of tens of thousands from a broad number of locations.

How many sock accounts do you have? I'm curious.

−1

TbonerT t1_j9bh2t2 wrote

This isn’t a pedantic debate. If the math works and the results demonstrate the math works, what more is there?

> However, the sample size is only large enough to draw conclusions on maybe a county level.

Again, this is simply incorrect, as demonstrated by the math and backed up by actual results from polls conducted in this manner. You’re wrong and burying your head in the sand. Their polls of 1200 people arrive to the same conclusions within a fraction of a percent as the actual results. Is that really so hard to believe?