Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tloxscrew t1_j8yayvn wrote

Premium: high quality parts, high-end components, high performance, high price. Good build quality, high resolution displays, other features like touchscreen, stylus, privacy screen, pushing the price further up.

I had 4k, touchscreen and a stylus on a convertible laptop like 10 years ago already, Apple has yet to make a laptop with all that.

Pro: more different options for using with other professional equipment, like more as well as more kinds of ports, large battery, tons of RAM, large and fast drives, Studio GPUs, more advanced cooling. some of those features are already included in premium devices, but not to that extent.

I can unzip a file on my phone and open it since forever (I know you can do it on the iPhone since last year or something, iOS 13) My NokiaN91 had wifi, a 4GB hard drive and could send MMS, I had an offline Wikipedia version on it, since I had full access to the file system (SymbianOS). Months before the first iPhone came out, and it couldn't do all that for the next 3 generations. in 2007. My Galaxy S2 had widgets. S5 was waterproof. S7 had AlwaysOn. Note9 had a stylus. S22U has it all and does all of it flawlessly. My Surface4 was a beast (not waterproof though), with an amazing touchscreen, stylus, and a full damn computer that could run SolidWorks and zbrush just fine, Premiere pro, Illustrator and InDesign, again with touchscreen and stylus. My first Spectre X360 could and can do all that on another level and current X360 eats macs for breakfast, you can plug anything in it without adapters and it just chews through it.

Working with anything Apple is like working with mittens while bound and hung upside-down, it's just infuriating.

edit: oh, and all those PCs still work (except the Surface which fell into a koi pond), and their hardware is upgradable.

[deleted] t1_j8yc3ry wrote

[deleted]

tloxscrew t1_j8yc9ur wrote

whatever man, look it up (I know I will now).

edit: from chat.openai.com since I'm sick and lazy atm

Premium computers explained.

What does premium mean, when wecre talking about computers?

The term "premium" can have different meanings when it comes to computers, but it generally refers to high-end or top-of-the-line products that offer exceptional quality, performance, and features.

In the context of computers, "premium" can refer to:

High-end components: A premium computer may have the latest and most powerful processors, graphics cards, memory, and storage devices.

Build quality and design: A premium computer may have a well-crafted and durable chassis made of premium materials such as metal or carbon fiber, and may have a sleek and modern design that sets it apart from other computers.

Advanced features: A premium computer may come with advanced features such as high-resolution displays, touchscreens, biometric authentication, and advanced cooling systems.

Warranty and support: A premium computer may come with a longer warranty and better customer support than less expensive models, giving buyers more peace of mind.

Overall, a premium computer is typically more expensive than budget or mid-range computers, but it offers top-notch performance, quality, and features that can justify the higher price for those who demand the best in their computing experience.

[deleted] t1_j8ycq90 wrote

[deleted]

tloxscrew t1_j8yf1an wrote

> I've owned an HP Spectre, build quality is abysmal compared to my current Mac.

but it gets the work done ALL THE FUCKING WAY, and not just halfway. It's more than just a typewriter. No mittens, FLYING. No adapters and external power to plug a Wacom Cintiq Pro that's heavy and shit anyways to do some real work in zbrush. The keyboard is great (the old one was a little creaky though, I'll give you that, but that was in 2013 or so), and the trackpad just ok (I work with a mouse, touchscreen and a stylus, and why use a trackpad when you have a touchscreen anyway, mine is automatically turned off as soon as I turn the mouse on). But my Spectre is also top of the line, there are also models with substandard components for way less money. And it was still on par price-wise with a toy that is called MacBook.

It seems like a Mac is sufficient for you, and that's ok, you can count yourself lucky.

[deleted] t1_j8yj4rj wrote

[deleted]

tloxscrew t1_j8ykjyi wrote

nah, no point in getting angry. macs are still toys, why don't you go play? even better, go buy a Switch, it has more features and better games.

yes my work. real work. premium work. professional work. not a browser and a video player.

if you had benefits, it means your work is not advanced. go play

[deleted] t1_j8ynu4i wrote

[deleted]

tloxscrew t1_j8yp9gb wrote

nice. petty. I like it. your bank account is irrelevant. I'm talking about advanced work on a computer, not numbers on accounts. I could probably buy you anyway, and you probably have more than one product in your home and in your workplace that is designed, developed and/or refined by me, and you probably love it. As you love your shitty Mac. And it will survive you.

[deleted] t1_j8yr3gm wrote

[deleted]

tloxscrew t1_j8yv6wf wrote

I'm sick in bed, it passes the time.

I didn't have a need for a portfolio ever, and I certainly wouldn't send it to you to shit on it if I had one, and showing you my awards would compromise my anonymity.

But I can reveal some of my clients from 2021/2022: BASF, 3M, HP, Intel, Bosch, Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone, Deutsche Bank, IKEA, BoConcept, Zeppelin Baumaschinen, Caterpillar, Rheinmetall and my favorite L'Oreal. Graphic art is a small part of my work. I don't consider myself an artist, I solve problems and make mostly functional and sometimes pretty things, but mostly my job is to shit on other designer's work with them present and then work out together ways to make the products less shitty, and subsequently, great. 3D-modeling, 3D design, animation and simulation are things I do that Macs cannot do to full extent. Light 2D design, print stuff can be done quite ok, but again, it's like working with mittens on. Stuck in 2012.

If you want to argue more, I have the time and the meds are making me grumpy and focused, so...

[deleted] t1_j8z0fei wrote

[deleted]

tloxscrew t1_j8z3dlb wrote

Again, it's not that my work is more real or more important. It is more demanding on hardware and means of input than 99% of others' work. It is not possible to perform a large part of it on a normal computer, even less on a Mac. I have to have a stylus. And since Macs don't provide any of those modern means of input, they are in the same league like Chromebooks or a Switch. Unworkable. And that is not pro, and not premium, and certainly not even good.

I wish it was so simple, but it's impossible to do my work on a Mac. I can do it halfway, I can probably do parts on an iPad, but it's all just... substandard, since an iPad is not a real machine. I would die in shame if I had to present a half-done project because I had to do it in an Apple environment.

And that generalized nationalistic bullshit, you can stick that up your ass.

And that pedestral? Hard to step down if you're called up over and over. I hate suits and I hate galas and award ceremonies, I'm just good at shitting on others' work and making them do better. And I have the knowledge, the experience, the guts and the equipment to do some things accurately and down to spec on a whim.

What do you contribute to this world, kid? With your Mac that you're so proud of?

tloxscrew t1_j8yfkzb wrote

>If you look it up you can see that Premium only refers to the price tag. A Rolex is a premium, even if it performs less functions than a smart band, which is not premium.

I did look it up as you can see above in my edit and I used a chatbot because I wanted the specific definition regarding computers, not just anything (and I was lazy).