Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Gold_Rush69 t1_je41med wrote

Glad to see the country that runs concentration camps in the 21st century is getting good PR.

−9

ChampionshipKlutzy42 t1_je4lqys wrote

Are you talking about the US putting refugee children in cages at the border and having the highest incarceration rates in the world?

Potential-Panda-2814 t1_je98nb0 wrote

No answer?

Where would you rather the children go?

ChampionshipKlutzy42 t1_je9dysk wrote

Where would the children go? clearly not in cages! it costs the tax payers $50-60 dollars a day to detain them in those conditions. $1500 a month.

How many people would let refugees have a spare room in their home if the government paid them $1500 a month per person?

A program could be created as an extension of the foster care system.

Gold_Rush69 t1_je4uuws wrote

No, I’m talking about China putting Uyghurs in prison camps where they are tortured, raped, starved, beaten, and executed.

And China has the highest incarceration rate considering the whole country is a prison.

−5

The_Last_Green_leaf t1_je4ta8g wrote

none of those are concentration camps, also whataboutism.

−6

SectorEducational460 t1_je54wn6 wrote

Is it whataboutism when you point a hypocrisy out?

The_Last_Green_leaf t1_je94ayj wrote

no whataboutism is whenever people point out the fact that china is currently committing a genocide, you Chinese bots go "mUh aMeRiCa" to defend them.

that is textbook whataboutism.

Gold_Rush69 t1_je4wvvp wrote

That doesn’t really factor the fact that most of the world still have the death penalty, cops you can bride, or poor law enforcement.

You may argue that some US states have the death penalty as well but it’s so bureaucratic and slow hardly anyone ever gets executed in the states where it is legal.

Also I’d take a prison sentence in the US over being stoned to death in Saudi Arabia, especially considering the fact that adultery is punishable by death, and that includes women who get raped since apparently that counts as adultery.

Uganda just made being gay punishable by death, but hey, at least they have a low incarceration rate.

Also China has the highest incarceration rate in the world considering the whole country is a prison.

The US my have a high incarceration rate compared to the rest of the world but the rest of the world kinda sucks at criminal justice.

−7

atwegotsidetrekked t1_je4z9fh wrote

The USA sucks at criminal justice.

Your comparison to awful countries proves my point. The United States is the worst among western nations. When your using Saudi Arabia and China as your starting metric for human rights, that’s a fucking low bar.

I am not going to get in the gutter about what country sucks most, I am just saying that the USA is a glass house on human rights both domestic and abroad. But yeah, better than China, low bar.

Do better

Gold_Rush69 t1_je5ahzy wrote

You’re the one who started the whataboutism by responding to my criticism of China’s concentration camps with incarceration statistics.

“better then China, low bar”

That was literally my original point.

FISHING_100000000000 t1_je535qo wrote

Sure, we’ve got empty bottles, food wrappers, and piss stains everywhere, but we’re better than than than the landfill down the road!

Gold_Rush69 t1_je5chts wrote

Literally the same thing they replied to my original comment with.

Me: China has concentration camps.

Them: responds with link to incarceration stats

Teftell t1_je4mui0 wrote

Also that country as well as another country will have less censorship and no prosecution for using VPN if that bill passes, making US a sole champion of totalitarian censorship and opression.