Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Tempires t1_jd91mxf wrote

Being incorrect =/= spreading missinformation

−15

Pikkster t1_jd92hu4 wrote

Being confident in your incorrect information is.

bigkinggorilla t1_jd942yb wrote

Or refusing to correct your previous statement.

krustymeathead t1_jd94drd wrote

or being unable to correct your previous statement for whatever reason.

Pikkster t1_jd9abkk wrote

I think what we are getting down to is, being incorrect = spreading misinformation.

Tempires t1_jd9gpmg wrote

how can AI be confident about their information? Bing does state that information may not always right.

Pikkster t1_jd9orem wrote

Inferring that it will be right at times too, but it’s up to you to figure out whether or not it’s right. But people are stupid, and will assume it is right, especially if it confirms something they already believe. Either way, it will spread misinformation because people will believe what they want, and if it happens to say something they like, those people will assume it is correct. Without something saying “oops, that information was incorrect, please disregard that,” we are left with a misinformation spreading machine, which makes sense if it sources from the internet, the ultimate misinformation machine.

ruiner8850 t1_jd9b4qg wrote

Being incorrect is spreading misinformation. It's not spreading disinformation or lying however because those require the intent to deceive. If I say that Michael Jordan in the NBA's all-time leading scorer, because that's what I truly believe, I'd be spreading misinformation because that's not true, but since I actually believe it it's not disinformation or lying.