Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

atwegotsidetrekked t1_jb5b887 wrote

It is how it works, I have posted 2 solid articles. Here is a third that specifically calls out meta in the first sentence

https://www.scmagazine.com/news/privacy/consumer-privacy-protections-data-brokers-sell-mental-health-info

I have backed up my claim. The poster was a troll who only gaslighted and didn’t even try to back his claim that meta and google didn’t sell data to brokers.

−1

BoxerguyT89 t1_jb5cgeh wrote

You still don't get it or you are being purposefully obtuse. That article alleges that healthcare providers are sharing PHI with Meta, not that Meta or Google are selling data to brokers. Meta being sued is also not evidence that they are selling data to brokers.

How can he prove that Google and Meta aren't selling the data to brokers? That's like asking to prove that God doesn't exist.

Do they monetize your data by targeting ads based on it? Of course, but that's not the same thing.

You are the one making the claim and the sources you have provided do not show that at all.

atwegotsidetrekked t1_jb5fh8h wrote

I honestly don’t know why I am responding at this point except to stop disingenuous comments

On Google’s servers

After the data leaves your device, it goes to one of several downstream services, like Google’s own Ad Exchange. Google collects bid requests from all over the Internet: from both sites and apps; from phones, computers, game consoles, and TVs; and from its own as well as competing SSPs. Then it presents those bid requests to hundreds of “authorized buyers”—demand side platforms that represent advertisers. Each of those DSPs has access to a firehose of personal information about millions of different users on all different devices. Google runs billions of ad auctions per day; in the process, it shares data about millions of people and receives millions of dollars from advertisers.

The data being transferred here is all associated with at least one unique ID: this could be the ad ID which identifies your phone, the cookie ID stored in your browser, or Google’s own internal ID for your account. Either way it ties back to you. It can include geolocation information, gender, age, and interests.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/google-says-it-doesnt-sell-your-data-heres-how-company-shares-monetizes-and

And meta isn’t just selling data to the nsa data brokers, but Russia and China (and Bannon’s data analytics)

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46618582

I am done I made the case. I don’t care about pr campaigns on socials trying to whitewash bad behavior

−1

BoxerguyT89 t1_jb5k59z wrote

> I honestly don’t know why I am responding at this point except to stop disingenuous comments

Same here.

> Data brokers purchase the data and just sell it to the NSA without legal approval.

Your words. Purchase from whom?

In the EFF article you linked:

> And companies like Google shouldn’t be able to monetize data they collect without consent even if they aren’t technically “selling” it.

Does Google monetize our personal data? Yes, everyone knows that, and if that is your point, you are correct.

Your link regarding Meta, from 2018, also mentions indirectly "selling" the data using similar methods to Google.

> I don’t care about pr campaigns on socials trying to whitewash bad behavior

Anyone that doesn't agree with me is a shill, got it.