Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ManWithDominantClaw t1_its4fzm wrote

Environmentalists: the best way to reduce emissions is to reduce our power consumption

Marketing departments of brand name shoe companies:

scienceguy8 t1_its8icb wrote

Hey, anything to get people out of cars, is what I say.

TheRealAndrewLeft t1_its9ezw wrote

But all the e-waste getting into landfill is a far bigger problem though, not even counting the carbon footprint of an making all those parts

Jeramus t1_itsa3fk wrote

Can you clarify your position? It sounds like you are saying e-waste is a bigger problem than carbon pollution from cars. Is that what you mean? Cars produce e-waste as well so it isn't an either/or scenario.

Relative-Ad-3217 t1_itsfn1p wrote

The shoes solve a problem that doesn't exist.

The problem with cars and air pollution stems from car centric infrastructure and how subsidized oil. Unless those are solved people will still use cars.

Accessible and reliable Public Transport are the solution to car pollution.

This shoes just create new e-waste.

Jeramus t1_itsfzs2 wrote

Last-mile transportation is an issue. That's why we have scooters, skateboards, foldable bikes, etc. I don't think it is a completely solved problem. These are small enough to take on a subway.

I'm not trying to argue that this particular last-mile solution is the best, but this class of transportation device is not useless.

nastybuck t1_ittxr2c wrote

You kind of forgot that there's a whole world existing outside of the US...

I don't own a car nor use the city's public transports because biking/scooting is so much more convenient where I live.

So yeah those shoes are trying to solve the same problem bikes and escooters have already fixed.

gurenkagurenda t1_itudbw7 wrote

> The shoes solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Huh? Do bikes solve a problem that doesn’t exist? It seems obvious to me that the shoes solve the problem of being able to walk to places that are too far away to be convenient to walk under normal circumstances, and which aren’t designed for bikeability.

I used to have about two hours of walking each day between home, train stations, and work. The choices were that, ride a bike or scooter on busy San Francisco streets, illegally ride a scooter on the sidewalk, or Uber. Some days I’d be exhausted enough to do that last one, which was terrible for the environment.

If, and this key, but if they have a mode of quick transportation that is both convenient to carry around and safe to use on sidewalks, that’s huge for areas where bikes are for people with a death wish.

Relative-Ad-3217 t1_itur7d5 wrote

How about making those places more bike-able ?

Rentable e-bikes/scooters?

How about more reliable and frequent bus services between train stations?

Essentially it's privatizing a public problem.

gurenkagurenda t1_ituxga4 wrote

That's a very different claim from "solving a problem that doesn't exist." And the problem with all of your "how about" whatevers is that we've seen for decades now that many cities are not solving these problems, and there's very little sign that that's going to change any time soon. And not simply because people are stubborn, but because tons of actual practical challenges are intertwined with the political gridlock.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the planet is falling apart right now. We don't have the luxury of waiting for a thousand broken city governments to get their shit together and solve their transportation problems. Even if things like this are only intermediate solutions, if they help, that's a good thing.

Relative-Ad-3217 t1_itv545b wrote

No doubts it's much better than doing nothing.

The problem is it can easily turn into a green washing scenario.

I think many "no-brainer" tech-fixes to the current ecological challenges must always be critiqued.

Especially since they may work against attempts to create valuable structural abs policy changes.

PaulTheMerc t1_iu09xa2 wrote

While rentable could work, the fees keep adding up. Ownership is ideal

joeyb92 t1_ittehi4 wrote

Busses are made electric as well and thus create e-waste

PaulTheMerc t1_iu09l71 wrote

Transit isn't going to solve the issue. It's a 20 min walk out to the main street in a lot of places. For a bus that runs every 20-30. The people want PERSONAL transport. We're better off with something like ebikes. Obviously transit where it works, but some places were built just to spite transit so

n3w4cc01_1nt t1_itsamge wrote

idk people have been using ebikes instead of cars or mopeds and that's still a decent improvement.

NautitaanKylmana t1_itvto1s wrote

Bro hasnt hears of lithium, cobalt mines and plastic. we are going to have massive problem once life runs out of shit like teslas and e-scooters in cities.

−2

n3w4cc01_1nt t1_itvuthd wrote

they're easier to work on than a regular motor and the parts like the motor are just copper wire which is scrapable. it's true the batteries probably only last a few years but the scooters themselves offset the over all footprint of getting a new city commuter vehicle while cutting down on idling and buying gas. it's a fair trade off in the long run and lowers peoples mental depenmdance on cars. People that use their vehicle to go 3 blocks to buy items that fit in their pocket.

ManWithDominantClaw t1_itscdn4 wrote

That's like letting your kid have ice cream for dinner if they do their homework. Like, it's not only silly, it's putting the least discerning in a position of bargaining power and establishing their expectations for next time you need them to do anything.

Honestly if powered shoes are the free market solution then bring on the October Revolution

constroyr t1_iuj1q89 wrote

The best way to reduce emissions is definitely not reducing our power consumption. Sure, every little bit helps, but individual habits pale in comparison to the emissions generated by industries.

The number one thing thing you can do to help reduce emissions is voting. Because of voters in the US 2020 and 2018 elections, the US passed the most significant policy in history to combat climate change.

Next week, all Americans get another chance to vote against climate change.

ManWithDominantClaw t1_iujau2w wrote

As opposed to transitioning to EVs, building renewables or developing tech like CCS, reducing consumption is the crucial step not discussed in policymaking so environmentalists do consider it a focal point. It's not an individualist solution, it comes from effective proliferation of measures that promote an alternative lifestyle.

As for voting, by all means do it if everyone else is, but keep in mind that if nobody did, leaders wouldn't have a public mandate. As the saying goes, if voting changed anything, they wouldn't let you do it. Politics is more than just the ballot box, its something one should be engaged in every day on the local level.

The-Brit t1_its5mv8 wrote

Another gimmicky / quirky fad product destined for rapid insignificance.

Thighabeetus t1_itsa66f wrote

I’m old enough to remember Heelies, and how my friend got a pair, attempted to walk up the stairs in school, took a huge spill and split his face open

A1sauc3d t1_itsh8mg wrote

Heelies were dope. And they probably still are dope! I had the kind with grind plates across the middle of the shoe, it was a blast. I should get me another pair…

That being said, heelies weren’t trying to be some ultra efficient transportation solution lol. They were just fun shoes meant for kids ;) afaik

Thighabeetus t1_itshg98 wrote

Soap grind shoes!

A1sauc3d t1_itshsxb wrote

That’s the ones! I knew they weren’t heelie brand but I couldn’t remember the name lol. They were so fun 😂

PoutinePower t1_itstnc5 wrote

And that kids if you play Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and wonder what the Soap logo is, that’s what it is!

Ok_Gift_9264 t1_itt17vu wrote

They still make adult sizes. My kid is old enough for some and I couldn’t help but check.

You can also go WAY faster than 7mph.

talkingwires t1_itsiseq wrote

I'm old enough to remember when all the kids suddenly began sliding around the mall, and I learned through both observation, and asking my co-workers that the kids were wearing shoes called “Heelies.” I was curious about the shoes, but would never voluntarily ask one of the rolling packs, because politely asking a question is the quickest path to teenage scorn and derision.

ElMonkeh t1_itseb61 wrote

Spoken like a true sneakerhead. This is the future yo.

iheartgold t1_itt44lg wrote

It was a 90s gag gift already

DrQuint t1_itu0k1m wrote

These are basically the shoes the main character in the battle network games uses, so I'm really feeling that 90's gag gift energy.

yangYing t1_ittiv40 wrote

They might be really useful in the service industry. Alot of wait staff struggle with sore feet

Takenforganite t1_itsishu wrote

Hey it’s like these are all going to end up in the ocean in three years but someone’s going to sleep cushy on a pile of cash on the island of New Florida

−3

Latyon t1_its3pxg wrote

What a terrible idea

They should strap these on 4,500 people in Minneapolis just to see what happens.

TheRedKoi t1_its6o84 wrote

Why in Minneapolis?

Latyon t1_its6sol wrote

Just to see what happens

whatnameisnttaken098 t1_its9vxw wrote

What about Calgary or Daytona?

Latyon t1_itsblvd wrote

Well then it would be a different thing, but we should do that, too

y2kizzle t1_ittpcs7 wrote

I wanna see what happens in Minneapolis

RollinDeepWithData t1_its9avd wrote

What else are they doing? It’s Minneapolis

54321Newcomb t1_itsb2j1 wrote

Probably getting mugged with how much crime has increased here.

−9

xeallos t1_its91fk wrote

Average Walking Speed: 2.8 mph x 2.5 = 7mph

You know someone is just going to absolutely take it on the chin the first time literally any surface imperfections present themselves. Like, you know, anywhere you might be walking. With your feet. Unbelievable.

Bgrngod t1_itscjji wrote

Lawyers love this one simple trip!

p1mrx t1_itsczio wrote

Video @2:47: "we've [...] covered hundreds of miles of the roughest urban terrain, from cracked sidewalks to gravel"

HCResident t1_itsndd6 wrote

The fact that cracked sidewalks is considered “rough terrain” in any context is hilarious

gurenkagurenda t1_itudwng wrote

I actually found it encouraging that they called that out specifically, though, because it’s actually one of the more dangerous cases for smaller wheeled vehicles. Deep gravel will make my scooter useless, for example, but big cracks have flipped me forward and over the handlebars more than once.

Cetun t1_itsn08a wrote

I've been to a lot of "rough urban terrain" and I'm going to tell you, it gets a lot tougher than some gravel and cracked sidewalks.

Wiknetti t1_its9kp1 wrote

Slowly starts compiling Jet Set Radio playlists

I am ready to understand the concept of love.

squeevey t1_its9qhv wrote

> the maximum user weight is 220 lb

Me thinks this won't be adopted very well.

Hot-Phase-205 t1_itsccfu wrote

Yeah Americans are fat as fuck in general

ArmedCashew t1_itsehza wrote

And most developed countries as well.

−3

Sir_Loppy t1_itvlpqq wrote

Bro I'm sorry but come to the south in the US and you'll be in awe

ISnortBees t1_itx885n wrote

It’s actually Pacific Island and MENA countries that are close to us (by BMI). What the US has in common with these places is an abundance of low-quality food. Most of Europe and East Asia is much thinner and have similar levels of development. For cultural and regulatory reasons, food is of higher quality. On an anecdotal level, when I traveled abroad, I noticed how much cheaper it was to get decent meals eating out.

Jaded_Prompt_15 t1_its4ujn wrote

It would make sense for postal workers or people with mobility issues.

Battery life sucks, but that improves with time or a battery in a backpack.

bigfatmatt01 t1_its9dlm wrote

Didn't nickelodeon already invent these in the 90s? Don't they break kids ankles?

burnsbabe t1_itt6tf4 wrote

Oh, but these use "machine learning" and source "from the same places Tesla does", so they must be great, obviously.

bmw_19812003 t1_itsnolp wrote

There seems to be a lot of negativity about these but I actually see a lot of uses if they work as advertised.

The biggest advantage compared to a electric bike/scooter is you don’t have to worry about what to do with it when you get where your going; this would be especially helpful when using mass transit.

I live in south Florida and rarely use mass transportation for a few reasons: 1. Our mass transit here is not really interconnected well and there are some serious gaps between things like bus routes, train stations and final destination 2. It’s too hot for 6-8 months out of the year to make even a mile walk feasible without looking and feeling like you just got out of a steam room. 3. Bikes and scooters are either not allowed on or have limited storage space on busses and trains; it really sucks to bike to the buss stop wait 20 minutes only to have the bus show up and the 2 spots on the bike rack are already full.

I could see these solving all those issues. My 5 minute walk to the buss stop would be doable year round or even the 30 minute walk to the light rail could be made feasible even so long as its not totally baking outside. I would never have to stress about where to store a bike/scooter. Finally it would close that last 1 to 2 mile gap between the train station and my final destination without having to depend on a bus or Uber.

Of course this all rests on these working as advertised which is yet to be seen; well that and the price needs to come down quite a bit before I would even consider them. If those two things were to happen though I would give them a shot; it would also put several grocery stores, bars, and restaurants in “walking distance” which would be convenient.

gurenkagurenda t1_itue9pt wrote

> There seems to be a lot of negativity about these but I actually see a lot of uses if they work as advertised.

Hey, this is r/technology, where everyone inexplicably hates all new technology and jockeys to find the best reason to shit on any new idea. Cautious optimism has no place here.

GooglySIG t1_itwkfoh wrote

I also had a positive thought about how someone like my parents could use these while traveling to be able to cover more ground in new cities. They are retired and getting older, and i know when I’m walking all over someplace i can get worn out too at half their age. The weight and battery life would be what I’d be mainly looking at closely, but there doesn’t seem to be much of a learning curve either.

Bishime t1_its72wp wrote

I’ll stick to my wheelies… but thanks

indoninja t1_its8gt4 wrote

Wow, didn’t know they could go dorkier than hoverboard.

crtjer t1_its93ur wrote

Rollerblades is that you?

CrazyEG t1_itt0z7s wrote

I HAD to watch the video and it’s hilarious. They speak like this is the answer to some imaginary issue people have with walking. The absolute best part was how you turn it off and on as you approach stairs. You lift your heel to turn off (Definitely going to be issues)THEN to turn them back on you “lift and twist” your heel inward Michael Jackson style. I was dying! This shit is ridiculous. ALSO IT’S $1,399!!! My man said “One small step for walking, One giant leap for Urban Mobility. Lol stop.

freds_got_slacks t1_ittmhex wrote

this just sounds like wheeled locomotion with extra steps

stuntsbluntshiphop t1_its61o9 wrote

Could be useful in nyc. I walk like 20 minutes to the office, this could cut that in half.

pencock t1_itsd3g6 wrote

I can’t imagine trying to walk 2.5x the speed of other people crowding the sidewalks and not just run into them or be slowed down anyhow

tachophile t1_its8sj3 wrote

But that would still be 10 minutes of walking with 5 pound weights attached to each foot.

RichardChesler t1_itse97k wrote

Take this technology and make it so that you can "walk" in VR without moving

perplexedtriangle t1_itthi3q wrote

Mmaaaattteeee this is an incredible idea. This always seemed like the one flaw in VR. It really takes you or if it's when you have to use the joystick to move around

RichardChesler t1_itv190s wrote

There are some solutions out there like a slippery concave floor or a omni-directional treadmill, but these shoes look much more elegant

Cool_Prize9736 t1_itteqvw wrote

In other news, wrist fractures increase 200%

Car55inatruck t1_itsd9bv wrote

no, No NO.

You pay for Buzz Aldrin, David Scott, Charlie Duke or Jack Schmidt to walk with you and say nice things.

"Doing great Champ. Keep it up."

"Thanks Dr Schmidt"

"Rock and Roll, Son, you are the best."

"I appreciate that Colonel Scott."

THAT. is Moonwalkers giving you a powered boost as you walk.

Kerblammo t1_itsp1h2 wrote

"Whatcha got for me, Buzz?"

punches face

PtotheX t1_itsexn4 wrote

The people that will buy these things will be spending too much time in their Tesla's to even bother using them.

IcyChard4 t1_itsqqyu wrote

Guys...

Its rollerskates with no trucks. Let's not kid ourselves here.

isbashko t1_itt73wl wrote

GOB Bluth got tired of the segway i guess

Mr_Phishfood t1_its9wmn wrote

that switch you need to flip before going down/up stairs are the biggest safety probem with this.

americanspirit64 t1_itscyjv wrote

Just what Americans need, another reason not to exercise, as walking is good for all of us.

PtotheX t1_itsf4ag wrote

The people that will buy these things will be spending too much time in their Tesla's to even bother using them.

CoolTomatoh t1_itsfag1 wrote

But can it walk backwards?

JamieDrone t1_itswkoi wrote

That is EXPENSIVE for what it is

neohampster t1_itt3jl1 wrote

I mean that just seems like roller skates but 10 times the price and you need to charge them? It takes 2 days to learn to skate well enough to get around. All this to trip down the stairs at double speed wearing 1300 dollar motorized heelie slippers.

hawkwings t1_itt3jui wrote

A motorized walker would be more stable.

Karmasbelly t1_ittjsyq wrote

These could help people with mobility issues, I dig that.

Theminipuff t1_ittnxza wrote

These would be amazing at Disneyland

atwegotsidetrekked t1_ituc5ma wrote

Someone grew up with heelys and wanted to see if it would catch on for adults

Sir_Loppy t1_itvlmre wrote

How pathetic do you need to be to want assistance with walking from a gimmicky shoe?

As if people aren't physically weak enough these days from sedentary lifestyles now let's make the most basic human movement even easier!

BarneyRubbleRubble t1_itujns8 wrote

I bet it takes a single unnoticed dog shit to make these self destruct.