Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RockItGuyDC t1_itprxw0 wrote

>I'm sad that redditors in this sub seem to not understand even a little what this article is saying,

First, fuck off with your condescending tone. Fuck right off with it.

Second, what did they transmit from point A to point B? If it's actual data, then in order to confirm that what you think you sent from point A to point B is what actually got sent, without appreciable loss, you would need to check the data. Via a checksum or something. I'm asking how that's done.

If they didn't do that, then I don't see how one can claim any data was sent. It sounds to me like they sent noise at that point.

almightySapling t1_itr8pp0 wrote

By no means do I understand the details, but I have to imagine they are only sending a very small amount of data, such that the chip itself is able to locally store the information and release it at a speed the next layer of hardware is capable of handling.

RockItGuyDC t1_itraqv5 wrote

Thanks for your insight. That would make sense to me, and perhaps then they simply sent that data many multiples of times in that short span to add up to the petabytes they're quoting. Or maybe they simply sent a tone over each of the channels and used that as a proof of concept that they could have sent those petabytes.

In any case, I'm still curious about what information actually was transmitted.