Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_itb8jwt wrote

[deleted]

archimedes303030 t1_itbkpvp wrote

Yes we do, Send a picture. I had an unhealthy hoarding relationship with VHSs in the 90’s and that progressed into DVD’s. Mom didn’t understand why I needed shrek on VHS if I was getting it on DVD. Now I’m just emotionally attached to a bucha tabs on my phone I’m never going to read again.

boli99 t1_itbpf93 wrote

Life is just repeatedly downloading the same movies and series in increasingly higher resolutions until we die.

archimedes303030 t1_itbqff3 wrote

This just reminds me that I’m growing up with low def nostalgia, but I get what your saying 🫶🏽

Teepo8080 t1_itb69xi wrote

I don't have a problem with lots of storage. Only without!

hawkwings t1_itbjseo wrote

I'm not sure about phrasing this issue in psychological terms.

> consider doing a “spring clean” every year, and schedule a time to spring clean your digital footprint

In January, I moved stuff to a directory called "\Old\2021" and deleted some stuff from active directories. I didn't delete anything, so I'm still hoarding, but at least I got stuff out directories I use every day.

> reduce unnecessary digital content

Searching for duplicate info is a pain. Occasionally, I'll do it, but I don't catch everything.

> come up with simple mechanisms to organise your files, emails, pictures and videos

I do that, but I still hoard. It takes time to label pictures; I rename files to include a description. I also use folders. I copy pictures from my phone to my PC, because I have a system on my PC. Periodically, I'll delete some pictures from the phone.

> reassess the importance of many social networks, including groups in many communication apps, and retain only those essential to you.

This is an unrelated issue.

FallingInwardMC t1_itc4me1 wrote

Alternative: download “everything” (yes that’s what it is called) search tool. It does some kind of magic voodoo that lets you search every file on your computer in a split second. No need to throw stuff out if you can search it instantly.

Also, rather than complaining about digital hoarding why don’t OSes just give files searchable tags innately?

Dawzy t1_itbg4hg wrote

I would say companies have a bigger problem with this. Not deleting data after they no longer need it or required to hold it.

xDulmitx t1_itbmr6d wrote

That kind of shit is such a liability too. "Do you have sensitive data and where is it" answering that can take MONTHS if the company retains fucking everything.

billdietrich1 t1_itbi7bp wrote

Article doesn't really make much of a case that it's a "problem". Causes more anxiety, okay. I suppose someone could spend a lot of money on storage, interfering with the rest of their life. But it's not really a health or sanitary risk as in a lot of physical-hoarding situations, where someone accumulates a house full of crap (literally or figuratively).

In most of these cases, when the person dies, their inheritors will have to deal with the situation. And a digital "discard" is much easier than a physical one.

fingletingle t1_itbohud wrote

The other main issue the article neglects to mention is the time and attention that can be spent sifting the good data from the bad. Hoarders tend to be poor organizers. I've seen digital hoarders talk about losing important files and photos in the morass of crap they've saved off of the internet for example. Sure, deleting someone's files after they die is easy, but what if you need to FIND important files related to their estate and can't?

Digital hoarding and lack of organization can also have strong ties to internet and media addiction.

I do agree that in general it is far less problematic than physical hoarding though and I think most people would agree as well. It doesn't mean it isn't a significant problem for some people.

e: This self-admitted data hoarder talking about unhoarding his late mother's home really brings the differences into focus. It's interesting there's a family connection of hoarding tendencies, though the poster makes it clear his files are well organized.

boli99 t1_itbp9i9 wrote

We already have AI that can identify whats in a photo. Trees, people, animals, dogs, cats.

We just need an AI that can determine when a photo or video is completely worthless.

(and then set it loose on Youtube and watch 90% of the 'content' disappear)

random-bird-appears t1_itd9qzq wrote

who gets to define what is worthless, though?

boli99 t1_itddnq6 wrote

well theres a question

i'd suggest that any video featuring a thumbnail of someone making a stupid face into the camera stands a high chance of making people more-stupider ^TM and probably doesnt need to exist.

Lifeabroad86 t1_itb6yrx wrote

Any word on the DNA based hard drives?

whatistheformat t1_itbh0fr wrote

>we found that digital hoarding can lead to higher levels of anxiety.

Figures. What aspect of modern life doesn't?

DionysiusRedivivus t1_itbvey7 wrote

Let’s start with Google, the NSA, and all the data-mining companies….