Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Squid8742 t1_iyc6bn0 wrote

Remember when google told us that it Gmail was going to be free forever? I guess it is, but only if you constantly delete your emails, so you don’t go over quota… let’s not mention the ads that look like e-mails…

Glad I got away from this garbage a decade ago

goatfather1969 t1_iyc7gb6 wrote

What alternatives would you suggest?

RejZoR t1_iycs7ib wrote

ProtonMail. Using it for years exactly because of shit like this. Good phone client, good web client, reasonable price and it's E2EE. So privacy is assured by default.

Just be aware that encryption inherently brings certain problems and limitations, like automatic forwarding is not possible, POP3/IMAP requires a "bridge" for communication between service and device running mail client.

[deleted] t1_iyd2dww wrote

[deleted]

RejZoR t1_iydapel wrote

I think you confused E2EE with Star Wars robot R2D2 :P

Ultimately, even when E2EE isn't used, the mailbox access is still fully encrypted. ProtonMail has to accept mail in whatever form on the ingress side, but once it's received, it's encrypted with your credentials. Something GMail or Outlook doesn't do at all as your mails are essentially stored there in plain text, only access to that plain text format is granted through correct password which is just for user side access, not for the operator aka Google. Only point they are encrypted is during transit from their mail server to another mail server. It's why GMail can do all sorts of clever mail sorting, combing and data extraction because they have all the access to your mails and ProtonMail cannot because they don't have such access. Only access they have is some metadata, mail addresses and subject lines for basic spam filtering and sorting. They have no access to mail body.

One could argue one could spy on users on the ingress side, but when you're that paranoid, you really need to ensure all participants in communication use E2EE using same clients, be it voice, mail or IM. Ultimately, even if ProtonMail wasn't encrypted, I'd use it because my primary goal was just stop using GMail. There are paid for services that claim to respect user privacy as you pay for the service where Google's "all this free shit" has to cost something else if it's free as service.

[deleted] t1_iydj2vw wrote

[deleted]

RejZoR t1_iyez03g wrote

I mean, that should be understandable by any internet literate person. It's like making a regular call and other person is using a speaker on the other end, on a crowded bus. Your end is private, the other end isn't. It's same with such communication.

Squid8742 t1_iyc8gbz wrote

I use iCloud. No ads, no monitoring or tracking of what I am doing and tight security.

ViralShadow_ t1_iyc8o8d wrote

They got caught tracking iphone activity even when tracking etc is turned off, but sure, just trust them.

Orbital666 t1_iycvhnc wrote

No they didn’t. That’s a bullshit story. Of course if you want step tracking to work you have to allow access to other sensors. If you want to use Maps of course your location is by definition being shared. People that read that story and ran with it don’t understand how things work and it shows.

−2

Squid8742 t1_iyc97bp wrote

When was the last time that Apple sold anyone’s private information?

−4

ViralShadow_ t1_iycco9c wrote

It would be ideal to not trust any company to collect every small bit of info they are able to. If the idea is privacy/security, then the company hosting the service should secure it from themselves (proton mail for example).

MysteriousPepperoni t1_iyd0zrl wrote

When did Google? Google sells ads, not information, Apple wants to sell ads as well.

Squid8742 t1_iyd38d5 wrote

There have been so many lawsuits that it’s not even funny

MysteriousPepperoni t1_iyeqr9p wrote

Again that's not data. Data is Google's most prized asset, they will never sell it. They sell the possibility of companies interacting (usually by ads) with specific profiles/personas theses companies are after.

HallOfGlory1 t1_iyc92qa wrote

Let's be real here; Apple is 100% monitoring and tracking what you're doing, and their security is only as tight as your own precautions.

Squid8742 t1_iyc9b3a wrote

I don’t mind that Apple monitors, cause every one is monitoring everything. However Apple is not selling my personal info like Google, Yahoo, etc. does

−6

HallOfGlory1 t1_iycd3sf wrote

Dude I'm sorry I have to be the one to break this news to you, but Apple does sell your personal info. It's literally in their privacy policy and Google is one of the companies they sell too. In fact I think Google is one of if not their biggest buyer.

Squid8742 t1_iycnbx7 wrote

Can you tell me where in the TOS this is located?

Google tracks things if you are using their browser or services. Otherwise Apple is not sharing anything. Actually they have a very strict privacy policy. So I think your name information may be outdated.

HallOfGlory1 t1_iyevwi9 wrote

Read Apple's "sharing of personal data".

Squid8742 t1_iyf392n wrote

I feel there is a disconnect here somewhere.

Here is the text from the top section of the sharing of personal information:

“Apple may share personal data with Apple-affiliated companies, service providers who act on our behalf, our partners, developers, and publishers, or others at your direction. Further, Apple does not share personal data with third parties for their own marketing purposes.”

Google sells your data FOR MARKETING PURPOSES.

These two are not the same

While they can share with developers and other is very restrictive compared to the rest of the industry.

be-like-water-2022 t1_iycedl4 wrote

Apple has allowed app developers to collect data from its 1bn iPhone users for targeted advertising.

Squid8742 t1_iyco219 wrote

While that is true until a couple years ago, when you download an app from the App Store it now shows a section on how your data is handled. If the developer sells your info, how is Apple responsible???

akmarksman t1_iyc9mf1 wrote

Me looking at my 4.21GB used out of 15GB capacity, having only deleted marketing emails in the "Promotions" tab. "huh."

I joined gmail in January of 2005.

TaxOwlbear t1_iycsitx wrote

Did Google ever specifically promise unlimited space, or just that they wouldn't charge a fee for having an account?

Squid8742 t1_iyctaan wrote

When it first started way back when, I am pretty sure it said that it was going to be free, with unlimited space forever.

kaishinoske1 t1_iycapue wrote

There’s always a copy of your emails. Just because you delete them doesn’t mean they can’t be retrieved.

beef-o-lipso t1_iycu0tm wrote

You, son, are woefully uninformed. You can turn off some of the most invasive uses of data which Google says it will no longer use (the legal exposure of they did would be massive so yeah, I think they are keeping to their promises). Yes, there is some still analysis but it's for anti-spam and anti+malware and it's for other things like regular old search. And no one is looking at your emails.

Also, there are "no ads that look like email." That's bullshit. Been a Gmail user for over 15 years never seen one from Google. It does have rather effective anti-spam, however.

−1

JDGumby t1_iyc6zyc wrote

So, the search in Gmail is going to get worse for those who turn on their Web and App Activity tracking? Weird.

jlamonta t1_iydgdj3 wrote

I guess it needs to match Google search's performance xD

Puzzleheaded-Cod4909 t1_iycd89x wrote

> To enable Gmail’s contextual search, you’ll need to enable Web and App Activity in your Google account, which may be problematic news for customers who are concerned about their privacy, and how their data is being used.

MFW reading this.

1Beholderandrip t1_iycqhoz wrote

am starting to understand why so many of my friends in tech have their own email servers.

charvadaryan t1_iyejvnn wrote

they definitely should work on this. Gmail has the worst search functionality among competition