Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Xunaun t1_ivai89b wrote

ExxonMobil executives: hands money to man with bald head, barcode tattoo, and fancy suit

The_Shadow_Of_Yor t1_ivaly3a wrote

Calling it now, we’ll never hear about this ever again

mrtnclrk t1_ivazd8p wrote

I wonder what the yield is for coffee ground biodiesel. 98 million pounds of coffee grounds to liters of diesel anyone?

scillaren t1_ivb0r5u wrote

Lol, big oil doesn’t give a shit about this. The whole world together makes about 10-12 million tons of whole coffee a year. The US burns 3 million tons of petroleum a day. The potential scale of this is irrelevant to big oil.

dkran t1_ivb3ugl wrote

When I grew phytoplankton, I was honestly shocked at the possibility of using the grow farm for numerous applications as an amateur. I’d imagine professional biologists can work these things to wonders.

Larrythekitty t1_ivb4ss5 wrote

Coffee, the universal productivity supplement.

scillaren t1_ivbfnyb wrote

You’re right, it’ll be way less than 1:1. And Chlorella production is really hard to scale. All of the Chlorella produced in the world wouldn’t be enough to feed even a tiny 10kbd refinery.

scillaren t1_ivbfxgl wrote

They already have their greenwashing ticket, they’ve been funding biofuels work at a biotech in San Diego for the last decade or so, still not making any fuel.

musicantz t1_ivcgarh wrote

I work at a plant that’s going to make renewable fuels from cooking oil at large scale. The company also makes biofuels from corn at scale. It’s the hottest trend in the fuels market today. Mostly because of government credits (it doesn’t work without them because crude is still way cheeper).

scillaren t1_ivgc41q wrote

Algae are very good at doing certain things and very bad at others. For biofuels, the issue has largely been that people extrapolating from the lab don’t account for the vulnerability of these organisms in the wild (single cell non-extremophile algae don’t form natural monocultures period), and way way way underestimating the entropic costs of dewatering a single celled bug that behaves as a colloid.

But when algae do what they’re good at it works great. No baby formula DHA without (heterotrophic) algae.