Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ctoph t1_iwvzoub wrote

The technology to make relatively advanced chips basically comes from a few western companies.

This statement refers not to tsmc but to ASML and their partner the zeiss group. ASML is a dutch company and is the only company that can supply lithography machines that employ EUV which is required for the current leading edge being created by Samsung and TSMC. Zeiss group is a a German company and a partner of ASML that supplies their optical system. These two companies are especially important because they are (I believe) the only companies with the ability to produce the technology (EUV and related optical systems) needed to produce 5nm and below chips. TSMC and Samsung use these devices and develop the methodology to manufacture the chips but regardless of any USA foreign policy they would never give there trade secrets related to leading edge processes to China (or any country/external org for that matter). So yea it is western European companies that make the technology to produce the chips.

All the self righteous sanctimonious idiots who project their prejudices onto strangers on the internet to feel superior gets old real quick.

MasterpieceBrave420 t1_iwvzu1h wrote

Naw, I'm pretty sure I got it right the first time.

ctoph t1_iwwh7ho wrote

We are several comments down on a comment that wasn't popular on a thread that wasn't that popular in the first place. There is no one to impress. We both know what the truth is. While I am quite certain you won't admit you are wrong, I hope in the future you will at least consider giving people the benefit of the doubt and try to make the internet a slightly friendlier place.

MasterpieceBrave420 t1_iwwhr5u wrote

I hope in the future you are not naïve enough to give people on reddit the benefit of the doubt.

ctoph t1_iwwih85 wrote

If I'm right I avoid a negative interaction where I find out on the end that I was the jerk. If I'm wrong, my comment wouldn't have changed anything anyway. It's not naivete, it's cost benefit analysis 😉.

MasterpieceBrave420 t1_iwwjytl wrote

You values you place on internet socializing are wildly skewing your analysis.

ctoph t1_iwwkbb8 wrote

I'm starting yo think you just want to have the last word.