Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Sabnitron t1_j1soxyz wrote

Appeal doesn't matter, actual feasibility matters. For a large swath of the population, electric vehicles are completely out of the question regardless of how appealing they might be. You can't just throw a charger onto the side of your rented apartment and drag a cord 200 feet across a parking lot to your space. Hell, half of the downtown in my city is all street parking to begin with. Tax credits against the sticker price aren't going to have any meaningful impact on adoption. And as the article pointed out, your EV probably won't even count for the tax credit because of a bunch of random arbitrary nonsense anyway.

−4

wanted_to_upvote t1_j1sq996 wrote

This is true today, but there are 10's of millions people in the US that still do not have EV's but could charge them at home. A lot more chargers will be added to apartment parking and work parking and shopping malls. There will be chargers that will give you 200 miles of power in 15m everywhere.

Sabnitron t1_j1sss8v wrote

Yes, I understand that. I feel like you didn't read what I wrote or the article. Like I just said, this tax credit will not have any meaningful impact in EV adoption because it doesn't address current adoption hesitation, partly because it's small, and partly because it only covers a very small and soon to be smaller segment of EVs and is difficult to qualify for. It's covered in the article.

−3

wanted_to_upvote t1_j1t9puo wrote

The adoption hesitation you have will not affect people that have places to charge now. The credit combined with the realization that gas can hit $7 a gallon or even more at any time will certainly have meaningful impact. People will go looking for EV's and even if the model does not get the rebate, other models will have their prices lowered in response to it.

Sabnitron t1_j1u5gdk wrote

I don't have adoption hesitation. You're just making shit up now. Nevermind, man. You're just trying to start a fight.

−4

wanted_to_upvote t1_j1uywb9 wrote

I was just trying to point out that adoption does not depend on your personal circumstance and also give you the reasons why EV sales will continue to grow even faster with a new rebate.

Sabnitron t1_j1w6tv7 wrote

It's not expanding the rebates though, because a shitload of other rebates are expiring.

And again I'm not saying it's going to have zero impact.