Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

quantumlocke t1_j1oabat wrote

I went through the trouble of making an account, but have only used it on the web. As compared to Twitter, the process of finding and following people who aren't on my home server isn't as simple, which I find frustrating. Long term, I have massive concerns around operating costs and moderation. The platform (i.e. NOT a platform, but just "some guys" running an instance) seems susceptible to moneyed interests having an outsize influence on moderation decisions.

ryanhoulihan t1_j1oh76s wrote

Yes, some of those are subjective, but everything has flaws. I’ll take those over Twitter’s, thanks.

−2

quantumlocke t1_j1otl8l wrote

I’m happy to not be on Twitter too, but Mastodon isn’t likely to be the next big thing due to the issues I called out and just overall user experience friction. The “next big thing” is probably going to be easy to use, easy to understand, and they will understand that their main product is great moderation.

ryanhoulihan t1_j1ovjr8 wrote

Yeah we’ve tried that a few times now haven’t we

−1

quantumlocke t1_j1p334e wrote

I mean, I don’t think those factors are the source of the problems we have with social media.

ryanhoulihan t1_j1p6674 wrote

Really? Infinite growth, data collection, and billionaires at the wheel aren’t the problem? Algorithms chasing engagement?

−1