Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

epic_null t1_j1kjlsm wrote

That wasn't sarcasm. Development isn't just about the hours worked - creative freedom and the state of the developer make a HUGE difference in code quality.

A unionized game dev workforce could bring the devs closer to the design and marketing process and help to allow game companies to utilize the reasons these devs went into game development in the first place. It could also give them the tools to push back against monetization models that make the game unfun.

cock-fan t1_j1ku3m1 wrote

Or more likely reward the lazy ones and get the harder working ones fired because they make the union thugs look bad.

−1

epic_null t1_j1ky8rk wrote

... Where do you get your information about how unions work?

Arpeggiatewithme t1_j1mombq wrote

To be fair police unions work this way. The good hardworking cops are fired and harassed because they don’t participate in the corruption. But for a game studio the argument is irrelevant.

epic_null t1_j1ncvcc wrote

Yes police unions can work like that... But I feel like the police union works that way because most police are that way. The union doesn't just get that way, the way the union is needs to be supported by its members. Most game studio developers are not gonna be happy with a system that works that way.

It also has the disadvantage of being the only union that all police are part of.

I would rather point to the USPS union for an example of a union with massive problems, and given how often I read "Grieve it" on that subreddit, I'd say the union has a very different set of issues.