Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Historical_Emeritus t1_j1zqxbr wrote

I think I'm stuck in a time loop because I swear I've seen this story like 18 times over the past decade.

icefire555 t1_j204wk2 wrote

The issue is you're not allowed to fly anywhere near airports or military bases. So that creates a lot of problems for this kind of program.

cannibal_man t1_j20s8m0 wrote

DC has a big no-fly zone. And for good reason.

VacaDLuffy t1_j22js4c wrote

Millenial kid her wincing as to the why.

−17

pievendor t1_j27mjj5 wrote

Hmm, yes, whatever could be the reason that DC--where the US federal government primarily is--would have a massive no-fly zone?

pifhluk t1_j2101yf wrote

That and the 5lb weight limit, battery recharging and the fact that you have to have a drone operator watching it the whole time.

tobor_a t1_j20x3ai wrote

Yeah, I don't think my town will get it :c we have two or three amazon warehouses across the town and a pretty busy municipal airport and a base. Anyways, not like I need anything form amazon that bad that I couldn't jsut go to walmart/target in town for.

Comfortable-Put890 t1_j24jb7q wrote

They shouldn't be allowed anywhere. I myself am a Robotics researcher, You would not enjoy hundreds of those loud drones buzzing over your head. They are dangerous, and other problems like privacy issues, surveillance misuse, our comfort and trust long list.

These AI companies manipulate our acceptance of technology, They have been and they will always do the same

icefire555 t1_j251o63 wrote

I love loud buzzing noises in the sky, that will definitely never collide with birds or other things in the air.

9-11GaveMe5G t1_j20cz33 wrote

Full self driving next year!

cannibal_man t1_j20s5cr wrote

But the futurist fanboys on reddit say it's so and futurist fanboys are always right. /s

tjshipman44 t1_j22zugw wrote

There are literally full self driving cars, multiple manufacturers, driving outside my front door right now.

erosram t1_j20vwy1 wrote

The last thing I want is little wizzing drones all over the skyline, they’re super noisy, and can ruin the view of a beautiful clear sky.

An-Okay-Alternative t1_j21pzfl wrote

Unlike those beautiful trucks barreling down residential streets burning gas at 10mpg.

erosram t1_j26ovfk wrote

lol a hundred packages on a truck on a highway sounds much better than Amazon turning my neighborhood into airspace.

mrgreyeyes t1_j1zxbjk wrote

Are you already past the point that Trump wanted to start a war with North Korea?

pyabo t1_j20y50x wrote

It's like each time this happens we are all shunted into an alternate universe where suddenly everyone has common sense and realizes what a bad idea this is. Until it happens again.

Ashged t1_j21cxk1 wrote

It's insanely unsafe, legally complicated, and would fuck up private drone use, so Amazon is just trying to tart it again and again until they eventually get away with it. I hope that will take a long while, but probably not.

−2