Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Geez-13 t1_j2frc9l wrote

Yeah, the new Leaf is quite cool!

Independent_Pear_429 t1_j2fntko wrote

EVs are great but they're expensive and really only available to the middle class and up

−15

scottieducati t1_j2fqrs7 wrote

Bolt is under $30k now. New Leaf ain’t bad. It’s getting there.

MightyMetricBatman t1_j2fun64 wrote

There is a Kia Soul EV sold in Canada and UK, but not the US. The rest of Kia/Hyundai's EVs are in the $45k+ range which is just too much for me.

Independent_Pear_429 t1_j2fuvlx wrote

When the second hand EV market gets down to under 8k then I'll finally get one.

TheOneAllFear t1_j2fvlq0 wrote

I don't think they will unless you buy a skoda citygo or vw up (these are sold in europe) or similar very small city car with less than 100 miles range.

The 40k+ by the time they get down to 8k most likely battery recycling will get better and selling battery separately and the car to scrap will be higher.

Independent_Pear_429 t1_j2fw3i8 wrote

But that will be 10 or 15 years away though right? We need better climate policies that help the lower class as well as suburbanites

Who_GNU t1_j2fsik6 wrote

When the 1st-gen Leaf fell out of lease, en masse, they were selling for under $10k. I wonder if something like that could happen again.

thatfreshjive t1_j2fu2k4 wrote

Ehh, the original leaf was pretty crappy. There wasn't any active thermal support for the battery. Don't get first gen Nissan Leaf

jermleeds t1_j2fo7fm wrote

That's solvable, and changing year over year.

thatfreshjive t1_j2ftulz wrote

>

The refund is applied to the purchase price, and can exceed $10k, depending on the state. Leases are eligible, too.

What was your point?

Independent_Pear_429 t1_j2fvlhf wrote

That the lower class will still be using old cheap second hand polluting vehicles because US policy on climate action is geared towards those who live in the suburbs

AverageIntelligent99 t1_j2fv9wr wrote

If you don't think some of the lower class isn't buying the exact cars as the middle class you're lying to yourself.

Go take a ride around the poorer neighborhoods... You'll see a lot of cars worth more than the houses they're parked in front of.