Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ovirt001 t1_j1a1ubv wrote

With an asterisk - "broadband" is defined as 25mbps down and 3mbps up. Thanks to this a lot of cellular connections are counted (which are absolutely not a replacement for landlines).

MpVpRb t1_j1bur8u wrote

>which are absolutely not a replacement for landlines

YES!!! This is true

KingsMountain t1_j1d6q7y wrote

Why not? I switched from Att DSL to T Mobile Home Internet and am very happy

V-Right_In_2-V t1_j1duz2v wrote

I was hoping to make that same switch but it didn’t work out for me. The speeds were terrible. I have a buddy who lives in a remote area in the mountains but he is right next to a tower and it works flawlessly for him. I live in the city and I guess stupid nimbies don’t look seeing towers here, so it’s terrible where I live

Aqualung812 t1_j1eeejt wrote

Because all wireless Internet technologies, including Starlink, have a very finite amount of shared bandwidth.

You likely are happy switching from DSL to T-Mobile 5G or even LTE, but if everyone around you did the same, you'd be back to DSL speeds.

Fiber to the home is the only solution that doesn't have shared bandwidth and fast speeds.

Thatguyxlii t1_j1a67qg wrote

I see a lot of penetration when I utilize my home broadband internet.

LiberalFartsMajor t1_j19v43s wrote

And taxpayers funded the expansion by giving providers Trillions (with a fucking T) in subsidies.

SsiSsiSsiSsi t1_j1a3740 wrote

Taxpayers funding the creation of infrastructure… what a lunatic idea! /s

usmclvsop t1_j1ac42f wrote

...which is owned by private companies such as comcast and at&t

SsiSsiSsiSsi t1_j1ac8zn wrote

How unlike our other utilities, famously always owned and operated by state entities. /s

jday1959 t1_j1bbkk4 wrote

Having installed and repaired the infrastructure (copper wires and fiber) for an large Internet Service Provider (Death Star) I can say categorically that home broadband penetration in West Michigan is no where near 90%. Our competition avoids the same areas we did; they could make money, but not enough to satisfy Investors.

There are large swathes that have mediocre cell service and people are stuck with satellite Internet service which is very expensive, slow, and has restrictive data caps.

90% penetration is a ludicrous claim and is reached by “creatively” defining broadband. It’s a joke.

Vestreza t1_j1cze5d wrote

Living in the rural north muskegon and best we got is 9mbps Frontier dsl. Hoping at least Starlink expands more soon. At this point I'll pay the extra to have over 50mbps hopefully.

All_The_Nolloway t1_j1ea48o wrote

What kills me about the investors part is they're like "we need more money" and all of the country is like "so how about more wires laid and internet to places that can use it or are underserved, see more customers." and the government hands them money like "here go and get internet in more houses" and the investors somehow land on "no no, uh we'll just tier the internet, say there isn't enough internet and change the prices to be higher."

aquarain t1_j19uqey wrote

These numbers are totally not credible.

Willinton06 t1_j1atw9r wrote

They said just the tip tho

Not_Like_The_Movie t1_j1bp3kr wrote

Can confirm, currently getting penetrated by a major telecom.

R34ct0rX99 t1_j1bqks1 wrote

They need to redefine broadband. Better upload and download speeds as a baseline

redpat2061 t1_j1brgmg wrote

Comcast doesn’t count

MpVpRb t1_j1buo3t wrote

According to a bogus study by lying liars who lie a lot, all the time

Our semi-rural area has NO good broadband, yet the lying liars claim we are "served"

MrsJan30 t1_j1c26ma wrote

As Amy said, not a good enough reason for the use of the word.

somecow t1_j1ck567 wrote

Satellite doesn’t count. Neither does “ya, here’s 20gb a month but after that you get 56k”.