Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

iwatchppldie t1_j5wcls4 wrote

I seriously wouldn’t have even heard of it if it wasn’t for the ban but instead I watched it.

[deleted] t1_j5yljg0 wrote

[deleted]

SlothLair t1_j5zlcwc wrote

Thanks for all this it’s very helpful!

If they are going to this extent to try and silence it I definitely need to watch it!

johnnySix t1_j5xnnf9 wrote

How was it?

iwatchppldie t1_j5ykqkz wrote

Honestly it was interesting from a cultural standpoint but beyond that it was mostly your standard bbc documentary.

WintryInsight t1_j5yya6s wrote

As an indian, could you tell what it is in the documentary that people are so mad about? Virtually no friend of mine had been talking about it

iwatchppldie t1_j5z1geh wrote

It basically ties modi to a mass riots in 2002 and the bjp party. The strange part is it wasn’t that hard on modi and seemed to from my point of view downplay his involvement in it. Half of it was interviews with people who where involved that was the interesting part tbh. As far as the politics it really pined it more on bad blood over the conflict over between Muslims and Hindus more then modi him self.

This is my take on it with little knowledge of Indian politics.

WintryInsight t1_j5z2dfp wrote

This doesn't really make sense to me. If it was just the usual hindi Muslim stuff, then why would the modi government want this banned. It doesn't him directly. And, is modi even the one who approves or initiates the bans? Stuff like this surfaces a few times a year on international forums and has every outraged, but I can never really get the reason for it.

I think I'll go and try see the documentary myself.

CouchWizard t1_j5z71xb wrote

Maybe someone is finally harnessing the Streisand Effect...

Vulcan_MasterRace t1_j5w4v8g wrote

It's as if people in power never heard of the Streisand effect

cruelentity t1_j5y4wjw wrote

Next week it’s gonna be called the Modi effect

AVLPedalPunk t1_j5z1t6s wrote

I grew up near Beaufort, SC and when she was there filming Prince of Tides on Fripp Island, she famously attempted to contact the MCAS there about the noise from practice maneuvers.
Anecdotally the air station found out her location and made sure that they always flew over her rented house.

Hyperion1144 t1_j5x1o8f wrote

This Modi doc has blown up way bigger than it should have.

Somebody needs give the Indian PM a documentary on the Streisand Effect... Because so far his response has been so over the top he's making Ol' Babs seem like a social media genius.

rastilin t1_j5y4dzv wrote

Why do we want to help him learn how to conceal his crimes better?

LoL_is_pepega_BIA t1_j5x6vmh wrote

PM doesn't care.. it's his party workers and diehard fans that are going crazy

But he really should speak up and stop this nonsense

−24

bhodrolok t1_j5xsunn wrote

LoL! You think they invoked emergency powers and banned it without his knowledge?

[deleted] t1_j5yha3k wrote

[deleted]

−3

bhodrolok t1_j5ylp6k wrote

True. It’s his USP to his base but this damages his “global image”

Spartanfred104 t1_j5w24ce wrote

Tell me you have something to hide without telling me you have something to hide.

a-blue-phoenix t1_j5x9uir wrote

the second episode is probably even more damaging to his reputation, noting that he’s tried to get india to forget about the large scale dissenting movement and state-sanctioned riots which took place in 2019, only to be cut short by the pandemic. and now everyone can relive that brutality and remember who he is and what he does

L3XANDR0 t1_j5ysgpb wrote

Dude I had forgotten about the farmer strike! Damn.

WintryInsight t1_j5yzpg0 wrote

Just wanna say that the farmer's strike was instigated by the large mandi owners who wanted to keep a monopoly over the individual farmers' produce. Other than that, the criticism of modi here is perfectly valid.

a-blue-phoenix t1_j5zfhk0 wrote

Makes sense, but the problem was the method of implementation - you do not make drastic changes like these in a democracy without consulting farmers and taking into considerations all its impacts, which the framing of the amendments showed were several.

WintryInsight t1_j5zhgm6 wrote

What's sad is that there was a large survey done with the farmers across India on whether they wanted better prices and security against big farmers. A majority wanted these things and that's how the bill started. The large farmers who owned the mandis to which the small farmers sold all their stuff to just gaslighted the farmers into rioting.

L3XANDR0 t1_j5yzx5z wrote

So the farmers will I'll informed and manipulated?

WintryInsight t1_j5z1urq wrote

They have no internet, barely working electricity, and most don't have smartphones. The farmers have to either deal with 5 middleman in a process to sell the product, or sell it to the mandi, which is controlled by a large farmer who has very high commission rates.

The government tried to standardize prices, which was higher than what the farmers got from mandis and sold to the government directly, at which the mandi owners got furious over.

L3XANDR0 t1_j5z21y1 wrote

Son what ended up happening?

WintryInsight t1_j5z3cwu wrote

Nothing. The government passed the bill, but had to repeal it a year later. The farmers remained poor, and the rich farmers retained their monopoly. Let's be honest, those people are only farmers in name as they don't even manage their farms. The whole reason they're farmers is to get tax cuts as farmers aren't taxed. The mandi owners won in the end.

In short, the farmers are misinformed and think the government has got it out for them and that those rich mandi owners are the only ones protecting them.

InternalPresent t1_j5w2pwm wrote

This is so obviously wrong, and all world leaders do it. If someone in power prevents you from talking about them, especially in an examining or critical way, they’re likely frauds trying very hard to control messaging. Some might say ‘duh’, but a good number of my countrymen believe their politicians are being truthful with them.

I hope the people begin seeing these obvious signs of dishonesty and start adjusting accordingly, the world over.

bhodrolok t1_j5xsvub wrote

Hey! It’s worlds largest “democracy”

[deleted] t1_j5zxz98 wrote

Just like the glorious Democratic People's* Republic of Korea ;)

CallMeButtercup t1_j5whgt8 wrote

Guess one could say Modi wants to be Untouchable.

_ohne_dich_ t1_j5xd90h wrote

I’m sure there are many others like me who didn’t care about this doc but now are very interested in watching it.

InterestingAsk1978 t1_j5ynnvt wrote

Looks like India is going the dictatorial way like its red neighbour.

werdmouf t1_j5y8cjp wrote

That's insane. Modi sounds like a dictator.

darw1nf1sh t1_j6040us wrote

Killing businesses, and putting lives in danger, so their PM doesn't look bad and to censor information to the public. India... wtf happened to you?

cr0ft t1_j5y98q4 wrote

Guessing Modi has never heard of the Streisand effect. If he wants to block it this badly, it has to be pretty damning.

achinwin t1_j5zr82y wrote

Can someone give me a non-politicized summary of what is in this film?

South-Water497 t1_j5zs7yg wrote

Wow this is active censorship for the benefit of a politician. Gross

runey t1_j5ytzne wrote

download from the internet and project and blast it loud

PCP_Panda t1_j5zdof5 wrote

I don’t know much about India political discourse but I was shocked after their election cycle how many died from Covid and the funeral pyres the followed shook me to the core.

BehindThyCamel t1_j5zaayx wrote

I saw the title and I just LOL'd. I mean, it doesn't get more hilarious that this.

jbman42 t1_j67w0gq wrote

Time and time again this happens and people simply don't understand that banning will only make something more attractive and create more radicals. People are naturally empathetic, so of fucking course they will side with the side being oppressed.

gnudarve t1_j5zlktc wrote

Now I will definitely watch it, didn't even know about it before India went all Streisand bonkers about it.

−2

Lazyass123456 t1_j5xfv76 wrote

How is this technology news?

−7

Far_Camera9785 t1_j5xuybu wrote

Because India used its internet laws to censor it.

Lazyass123456 t1_j5yxga6 wrote

Still doesn’t answer my question.. how is that technology

Far_Camera9785 t1_j62k4hu wrote

It’s literally called the Information TECHNOLOGY Act of 2000 bro

Lazyass123456 t1_j62waql wrote

The whole jamat has descended on reddit today. Try posting this on something like /law then

Far_Camera9785 t1_j65u8n5 wrote

I’m literally clarifying a legal point and you’re calling me Muslim (which I’m not). You guys have like ONE argument bro. When you can’t counter factual arguments, just call them Muslim and feel smug. Lol.

Lazyass123456 t1_j671xmz wrote

Arrey bhaisahab, lets not pollute the technology forum with whatever political or legal agendas you have . As a refresher this is the technology forum and not the legal forum. Trust this clarifies.

Far_Camera9785 t1_j67bsls wrote

No it doesn’t. This forum also deals with technology regulation and legislation. YOU have a problem with something that doesn’t suit YOUR agenda being posted here.

[deleted] t1_j68ww7v wrote

[removed]

Lazyass123456 t1_j68xae5 wrote

Happy to argue point by point on this on a more appropriate forum. Btw speaking of law , what does the supreme court have to say on this . If this was not just random political agenda you would understand. Worse is you would pollute all political forums with this nonsense