Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

raven080068 t1_j4xs35b wrote

warrantless access to details on millions of money transfers.

Hmm. Sounds just like FISA.

fargmania t1_j4z7ssd wrote

A bank? A fintech company? Western Union? The US postal service? SWIFT? ABA? ACH? Anyone who charges money to move money from point A to point B, I suppose. Why did you put that in quotes? Is it mentioned in the article? I got paywalled and could only read the first couple paragraphs.

3z3ki3l t1_j4zati0 wrote

I mean, I don’t mean to be a dick, but… is the government not supposed to know about international spending? That feels like something we should keep track of. For legal tax reasons, as well as illegal drug, smuggling, and trafficking reasons. Just kinda feels like a normal thing to track, yunno for the government.

Plus don’t they need to know how their citizens are making them reliant on each other, even in non-criminal ways? For economic development, critical trade deals, embargoes and the like? Seems like it’s important information to have.

HothForThoth t1_j5104kb wrote

Yes, the article we are talking about said a money exchanging business, AS OPPOSED to a bank.

a spokesman for the Arizona attorney general said: “Courts have held that customers using money transmitter businesses do not have the same expectation of privacy as traditional banking customers.”

fargmania t1_j52z5ww wrote

Well I think the courts need another go at that one. Because I do have the same expectations of privacy when it comes to my money, whether I'm using B of A or Paypal. This is the whole problem with non-bank money transmission companies... they're very poorly regulated.

Own_Cream_551 t1_j5gbp84 wrote

Is anyone in the know really surprised here? This isn’t a big revaluation, I’d actually be surprised if the US wasn’t doing this….. everything digital, and I mean anything that is accessible online can be tracked and monitored. Truly secure systems have no networking capabilities, and cannot be accessed remotely, only physically. Yes said systems are leveraging other technologies to obscure and silo confidential information but that’s top secret.