Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Golden_Pineapple t1_j9q4d5t wrote

Probably because they need cliffhangers to get on there in the first place.

eyeseenitall t1_j9q56n3 wrote

For all we know Netflix is telling them to have those cliffhangers. The writers/show runners don't have free reign.

AnxietyTsunami t1_j9q6u3x wrote

I personally would love it if more shows were “limited series” like White Lotus. They proved you could tell a complete story and still come back for another season. If it would have been 1 and done I wouldn’t have cared at all.

Shotgunsamurai42 t1_j9qbwx4 wrote

Why do we blame anyone in the industry instead of the people who aren't watching the shows?

Chapter-Opposite t1_j9r09aj wrote

That's never well received. You can't just tell people that they have terrible taste in shows and they should stop watching so much of "x" and start watching more of "Y".

Shotgunsamurai42 t1_j9r46uw wrote

I mean it's half a joke, half the truth. You should know as a viewer that if you are watching an incredibly niche show like say, an alternative history show set in the industrial revolution that has fairies, a lot of people are not going to watch it.

neverjumpthegate t1_j9q7yu4 wrote

Farscape ended on a cliffhanger because the writers were told they were getting another season, only for the sci-fi channel to cancel them at the last minute.

Koboldsftw t1_j9qgpk3 wrote

Cliffhangers are fine is why. Very legitimate storytelling tool that can be misused but are not inherently bad.

PAUMiklo t1_j9q7uif wrote

sometimes the creators are told they will not be cancelled and leave a cliff hanger to keep viewers intrigued only to be lied to, see my name is earl.

Archamasse t1_j9qdnkm wrote

At least one showrunner, the Warrior Nun guy, said he had to argue for the final (post credit) scene because Netflix wanted him to end on the previous one, which would have left the show cancelled on a cliffhanger instead of an open ending.

So it's something Netflix still seems to be responsible for.

PropJoe421 t1_j9qivkg wrote

I usually defend streaming services but I actually think they are mostly responsible for this.

They could make it explicit when they sign the deal that it's a limited/mini series. But they don't because they want hits that they can do 8 seasons of.

Mini series are the way, give you more time than a movie to flesh out a plot, but also gives you a beginning, middle and end. But neither the creative nor business side wants it, actors and writers want the stable work, business wants 100 episodes of hit content, not 10.

meowskywalker t1_j9qqw7m wrote

Cliffhangers make a show more likely to be renewed. Everyone wants to be renewed.

Chataboutgames t1_j9q7wvf wrote

Ultimately we don't know if it's the writer's or the Service's call to put in those cliffhangers, but one thing you can always bet on is that people will blame everything on the "suits' and treat the "creatives" like angels. It's just an easy narrative to circlejerk.

−2

anasui1 t1_j9q4qk2 wrote

none is to blame

−4