Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ThisIsCreation t1_jaddx1q wrote

Main story aside, the monster of the week episodes are incredible.

The chemistry between Mulder & Scully is off the charts.

The thing that truly makes the show age so well is the way they light it & shoot it. A cable sci fi TV show in the 90s should look janky,but the amazing lighting & tricks they used on set makes every episode like a mini movie, & that's how I've always felt. Every week we got a movie.

correcthorsestapler t1_jadoh31 wrote

Yep, exactly what Chris Carter intended. Despite him not knowing how to finish the myth arc, he made the right call regarding how the show should look and feel.

Those first 5 seasons are so great to me, too, cause I’m from the PNW and having a show set/filmed in that area just gives it that extra mood. Anytime I drive through Tillmook forest I think of some of the X-Files episodes that take place out in the middle of nowhere. It’s even better at night: no streetlights, dark forest on both sides of a windy road. Always makes me think just for a moment I’m gonna turn a corner and come across some cryptid or alien encounter.

Paulofthedesert t1_jaej238 wrote

> Those first 5 seasons are so great to me, too, cause I’m from the PNW and having a show set/filmed in that area just gives it that extra mood

Thiiiiis. I always love when they're out in the woods somewhere cause it's like "that looks like where I walked my dog yesterday"

huskersax t1_jae28y3 wrote

>A cable sci fi TV show in the 90s should look janky

X-Files was a network show, aired and funded by Fox. Far from a budget-limited affair.

thebruns t1_jaefzk6 wrote

Fox was a brand new network with no history of quality shows.

GoldenGuy444 t1_jaetj77 wrote

By the time the X Files aired they had the Simpsons was about to start its 5th season.. Not that the network was massive as the other 3 major networks but it wasn't tiny tiny as it was in the late 80s