Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kronicfeld t1_jadf4ot wrote

This show hit at EXACTLY the right time. Two years earlier or later and it wouldn’t have been timely. But fall 1993, when I was 13, it was absolutely perfect for the burgeoning Internet, conspiracy theories, fan discussion, etc.

Some stuff is dated for sure, but it still has some of the best single episodes of television even decades later, like Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose or Jose Chung’s From Outer Space.

HOGCC t1_jadh9uj wrote

>or Jose Chung’s From Outer Space.

No other object is misidentified as a flying saucer more often than the planet Venus.

correcthorsestapler t1_jadiglk wrote

“Alex Trebek?! The game show host?!

DMPunk t1_jae5dmy wrote

Mulder didn't say it WAS Alex Trebek, just that he looked an awful lot like him

kuwetka t1_jadpeeo wrote

> the best single episodes of television even decades later, like Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose or Jose Chung’s From Outer Space.

It's insane that Darin Morgan wrote only like 4 or 5 episodes out of 200, but they're the one that people remember the most. And they are indeed the best tv ever

kronicfeld t1_jadrfsy wrote

>Darin Morgan

Good point. The two I mentioned, "Humbug" (circus performers), and "War of the Coprophages," one of the funniest episodes of the whole series.

And, hell, he wrote the one revival episode that had Kumail Nanjiani and Rhys Darby, probably the only really good episode of that run.

DMPunk t1_jae5j2i wrote

> "I'm not going anywhere until I talk to my lawyer."

> "Okay, who's your lawyer?"

> "I represent myself."

That whole scene lives in my head rent-free

Darmok47 t1_jaewhb5 wrote

The one about the Mandela Effect perfectly encapsulates why Fox Mulder's quest doesn't work in the post-Trump era. It's also really funny.