Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DisturbedNocturne t1_jdf2u29 wrote

Wouldn't surprise me, and it's really not a bad move. AppleTV doesn't have a ton of original content to begin with, and in terms of comedy, they already have Ted Lasso, Schmigadoon, and The Big Door Prize to carry things until summer.

testingtor t1_jdf4q7h wrote

> and it's really not a bad move.

Its a scummy move IMO but im in a union so....

DisturbedNocturne t1_jdf72rw wrote

Fair point. I hadn't considered it from that perspective.

Should really be interesting to see how a strike impacts streamers like this regardless, though. Back in 2008, Netflix and Hulu were the only games in town, and they were both still several years off from producing their own original content. Now, there are countless streamers that will have to contend with this, and it's much different than networks on television who didn't really have to worry about people cancelling subscriptions.

Netflix likely has enough in the can to weather something like this since they release new stuff practically weekly as it is. They also already license a lot of foreign programming. But streamers like AppleTV, Peacock, Paramount+, and even Disney+ generally are only fueling subscriptions by having a couple big shows running at a time. Give it a few months like how the 2008-9 WGA Strike ran, and these services are going to have a very difficult time justifying keeping people subscribing, and I doubt a shift to reality programming like what we saw during 2008-9 is going to be enough, particularly in the case of AppleTV.