Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Fieryhotsauce t1_it2zxwf wrote

Really hope this show doesn't suck, it's about time Chloë Grace Moretz starred in something that wasn't forgettable tween trash.

archlector t1_it32gzg wrote

I feel like the headline is really unfair to the actual showrunners who are not Nolan/Joy, but I guess they gotta use it for marketing.

Anyway, can't wait for the show. Hopefully it's good sci fi not relying on endless IP regurgitation.

Arya1567 t1_it393ba wrote

Excited for this one. Looks promising.

BarBarBar22 t1_it3d2q0 wrote

I really hope this will be good!

theslothening t1_it3m83x wrote

>The Peripheral” premieres its first two episodes on Amazon Prime Video on Friday, October 21, with new episodes to follow weekly.

Was not aware that we were getting 2 episodes tonight so this is going to be exciting.

RBlomax38 t1_it3rr37 wrote

This seems up my alley but for some reason I’m not looking forward to it. Will probably give it a watch at some point but feel like it’s going to try to hard to be westworld like but not have the depth to make it worth jt

bangharder t1_it410d6 wrote

I will watch this show however the name is so bad I will not tell anyone I’m watching this show

−2

im_a_dick_head t1_it41gp7 wrote

Critic reviews can kindly fuck off, 90% of the time they are not at all similar to the actual audiences reception of it. I've loved many shows with dog shit scores from RT, IMDB, etc.

jfl_cmmnts t1_it42ttn wrote

Book was good, sequel good too

JohnnyAK907 t1_it44s9r wrote

Oh good: another vision of a grim future. Just what I need to distract me from the reality of a grim present.

OneGoodRib t1_it49uh8 wrote

Yeah it's weird, in the past when things were grimdark, tv shows tended to flip the other way. Like in the 60s with Vietnam and riots and stuff, sitcoms got so weird and cheesy and of course there were still dramas at the time, but in general tv and movies were like "hey, let's have some fun so you can forget about how it feels like nuclear war is imminent for a little while".

access_secure t1_it4c0p2 wrote

Not who you replied to and not tv shows but Don't Look Up and Henry Cavill's Man of Steel both have 56% and Lucky Number Slevin has 51% on rotten tomatoes

I quite enjoyed all 3 films

OfferOk8555 t1_it4f68s wrote

I feel like most people watch super heroes stuff and Star Wars for that comfort. Plenty of “this is a jokey action movie that’s so self aware it hurts” coming out recently I feel like.

P1nCush10n t1_it4izb6 wrote

Westworld was a grim vision of the future from Westworld’s creators..

sicklyslick t1_it4jlwz wrote

Don't look up: self indulgence & on the nose. I liked it but I can understand the reviews

Man of steel: just search the movies sub Reddit and you'll find a lot of decisive stances. I liked it and don't see the hate but there's a lot of non-critic negativity with it.

No comment on the last, I haven't seen.

ILoveTheAIDS t1_it4l85b wrote

>Don't Look Up and Henry Cavill's Man of Steel both have 56% and Lucky Number Slevin has 51% on rotten tomatoes

51% means 1% more than half would recommend the movie, not how good it is - man of steel has a 6,2 average rating, which is pretty solid. Metascore is more indicative of rating through quality than RT. But nothing wrong with these movies mentioned? Perfectly fine to enjoy them, as it is any movie. I can't say I like any of them but they're not terrible. Do you look at those movies' rating and go "yeah ok I understand why" Or is it totally a mystery why somebody would dislike or think "meh" of the movies you mentioned?

im_a_dick_head t1_it4lp3s wrote

I've thoroughly enjoyed shows with a fricken 9% RT score. Some of their reviews are just opinion based not factually based. Like one said "there are too many of these types of shows"

That's literally the only reason they gave it a bad review.

−5

SwagginsYolo420 t1_it4p59v wrote

William Gibson adaptation? I'm probably way more excited than the average person.

"From the creators of Westworld"? Nope, I'm out.

im_a_dick_head t1_it4pjrq wrote

Rotten tomato scores:

Rosewood (9%)

Prodigal Son (58%)

Blue Mountain State (13%)

Lincoln Rhyme (36%)

V Wars (56%)

Carnival Row (57%)

Those are only ones below 60%, there are a ton that sit around 60-70% too.

etherd0t t1_it5b85q wrote

"Weekly" episode release, that sucks!

Valdotain_1 t1_it5f4s1 wrote

I would think Pattern Recognition a better Gibson book for TV. Relatively straight line plot with only a few characters.

ILoveRegenHealth t1_it5mpw3 wrote

This whole time I thought this was a movie when I saw the trailer. Had no idea it was a TV series.

momansensei t1_it6g2pq wrote

Simple solution for you. Don't watch. There are hoards of media out right now with the complete opposite vibe. Marvel cinema is one example. Good guys win, heros save the day, etc.

muddyklux t1_it6j44f wrote

Really enjoyed it. Wasn't sure what I was gonna get after suffering through a couple of episodes of season 4 Westworld

Alps-Mountain t1_it7dvxy wrote

Really it's from the writer of A Simple Plan from 1998 which is kind of surprising. It's also surprising that this dude also wrote The Ruins the horror movie from '08. He's all over the place.

mybadalternate t1_it7j091 wrote

That movie has aged into quite a weird artifact.

I think it might actually kick ass, due to its utter lack of irony. It’s become a Gernsback like glimpse into the future vision of what we thought living with cyberspace would be like.

Plus Ice-T, Dolph Lundgren, Henry Rollins, Udo Kier, so many joyfully weird choices.

…and Keanu! (I. WANT. ROOM SERVICE!!!)

What they did to Molly Millions is still a travesty though.

This is the legacy sequel we need.

Changed-18 t1_it7qoq9 wrote

Stopped the show twenty minutes in, which is not something I do as I'll give a show the full run of the pilot. This show is going to fly off the rails quickly the first act of the episode is so disjointed and unnecessarily bogged down. There are those who are going to love it, and that is fine, but I expect more from sci-fi in 2022, and this was not captivating.

−4

Jessmom94 t1_it83xx5 wrote

This has so much potential.

ebietoo t1_it8ejov wrote

The problem with adapting Gibson to movies or tv is that much of the cool factor resides in his prose. I think so far, this show is managing to show the coolness in visuals. I love that The Shards actually giant statues rather than simply big weird buildings. I hope the show goes into the genderqueer aspects of Flynn in Burton’s peripheral, and I’m excited to see Lowbeer in action. I don’t feel bad about missing Daedra West’s naked base-jumping from trash island, though I wonder how the story will resolve without her and king of the primitives—guess they’ll pick another villain. Jonathan and Lisa, don’t stray too far from the source material, ok? That’s usually a recipe for disaster.

HighKingOfGondor t1_it8ht2b wrote

Carnival Row is super great except for the rich people romance plot. That part is okay but Bloom’s story is great. Does not deserve that 57%.

Imo V-Wars deserved lower. Not a good show at all even if I enjoyed Ian S in it

donsanedrin t1_it96noa wrote

Are book, tv and film makers running out of adjectives to use as titles?

Areljak t1_it9kld0 wrote

The season 4 finale is pretty fucking bleak, hell, that series probably holds some kind of record for how badly things go to shit from the pilot to the, so far, finale episode.

stars_at_night_ t1_it9q0pi wrote

I stopped watching it, it just feels like another woman smart beats men no other interesting personality traits main character. The opening credits were actually cool so I thought maybe maybe this will be good nope boring.

−4

Kitt2k t1_it9u4k6 wrote

Episode 1 is about an hour + long... I just can't sit thru the entire show coz pacing is just too painfully slow....they kept on yapping with uninterested dialogues... After 30mins or so of torture I deleted this show 😂

−5

hangingonthetelephon t1_ita7t8q wrote

No patchers? Interesting…

one of the things that makes the book great IMO is that the stakes of the London storyline are actually quite low - effectively a Chinatown style story in the London storyline - despite their immense implications in the Canton storyline -it really nicely, subtly reflects the core premise of the books, ie the unequal distribution of the impact of uh late-stage capitalism or whatever. Trying to be vague to avoid spoilers. But yeah, it’s Gibson’s best attempt IMO at finally capturing his famous line that the future is here, just unevenly distributed - but with the realization that it’s climate collapse and not technological innovation that defines the future and it’s unequal distribution.

The fact that a lot of the actual machinations stuff which drive the plot are all in the background and only peripheral (ahem) to the main storyline is a really great, subtle touch, and the Patchers are a perfect example of that...

I’m not sure if I’m going to watch… the London storyline seemed all too glamorous and fun and exciting and action-packed in the trailers, though it could just be the trailers and a question of it being Flynne’s perspective… but still, the whole thing that makes the book so amazing is the deep ennui and emptiness that permeates the London storyline, and even the Canton one too. Despite the craziness there, it comes across more as just a matter of characters accepting the weirdness that is life, rather than some grand adventure. Trailers gave a bit of the opposite vibe, but again, they are trailers. I love that in the book, when Flynne first works as Milagros, it’s piloting a tiny drone doing pretty boring, mundane surveillance/security work, not some cool adventure - it’s more Rear Window and Blow Up/Blow Out or the Conversation than James Bond…

I would love to see an amazing adaptation of this, even with the difficulties of translating his prose to screen… but I’m nervous about this one.

eekamuse t1_itbyiri wrote

I LOVED the first episode. The concept is great, that world is gorgeous, the plot is exciting.

I love William Gibson, and even though I read the book it's still thrilling. And seeing his world come to life in such a gorgeous way is fantastic. I'm all in.

Itzli t1_itcanpx wrote

This is a common thing apparently. A bunch of decent shows have gotten cancelled over the years because the audience didn't like their name. See 'Selfie', 'gcb', 'the bitch in appt. 23' and a few others I can't recall rn.

NerdyNThick t1_itdbo4o wrote

I get that and agree. Another example would be 'Shit My Dad Says'... However the person I replied to stated they wouldn't tell anyone they watch the show because of the name. That to me indicates they're ashamed they watch the show simply due to the name, and that (to me) is quite odd.

ConsuelaBH t1_itdqch7 wrote

It’s like an entertaining ridiculous shitshow of a movie. 10/10 would recommend quasi hate watching it. Just when you think it can’t get any more insane something else happens to elevate it to another level of crazy

MrAshh t1_itfwkp8 wrote

I love westworld, I am glad they left the park and switched the focus of the storyline somewhere else. People can hate and disagree with the direction the show took, but I haven't seen a single episode that made me think "this is terrible TV"

CrashBangXD t1_ith2xw2 wrote

The critic reviews are not good. The Audience however is the opposite. Considering critics have recently sang the praises of Rings of Power which turned out to be a highly polished turd I know who I’ll take stock in

striker907 t1_ithdng0 wrote

The “world” looks extremely low-budget. Some aight visuals but the overall setting is just London with some cheap CGI statues in the horizon.

It sounds like you came in loving the book already, and wanted the show to be good. Which is fine, but it’s not quite there yet

−5

eekamuse t1_ithr79t wrote

That's your opinion.

In my opinion, it looks great. Not just the city, the overall design.

And yes, I go into every show wanting it to be good. Why else would I watch?

striker907 t1_ithu8d3 wrote

I said “which is fine.” Don’t let your preexisting fandom cloud objectivity is my point

You like it though, nothing I say will convince you. Enjoy what you enjoy

−5

eekamuse t1_ithzikq wrote

Don't assume my supposed "Fandom" is clouding anything, because you think the show isn't good.

There is no right or wrong opinion. These aren't facts. Go ahead and have the last word.

KantExplain t1_itkumik wrote

Pilot episode was very good. The two leads (the sibs) are solid even if they're a bit YA. It has all the William Gibson cliches, but if you like that (I do) you'll be in nostalgia heaven.

WW S1 was brilliant, then it slowly (and then quickly) turned into a stinking pile of feces. So hopefully this show will (1) avoid that and (2) end after one season.

Madholm t1_ito1dxn wrote

Why do all the overhead shots show massive urban sprawl, while simultaneously pointing out extremely low population density?

Seems dumb as shit and hyper-fake.

tomcmackay t1_ittrjmi wrote

all i would ask is how many other creations of world class sci-fi and inventor, at minimum, of cyber punk (the concept! ) William Gibson have made it to the the screen. a living Asimov for lack of better adjective, this is a brilliant, wonderful writer.

​

then answer should be none. the collective desire should be any and all that can get to production.

i have zero fears that The Peripheral made it to this hallowed stage...it is a cracking story!!!! with built in pace, and bbuilding characterization which is in line with plot and arc, you could simply have hired a scriptwriter out of juniour highschool and still been award-worthy.

just like adapting cormac mcarthy. the tv/video/cinema script writes itself

​

​

i have z

tomcmackay t1_ittxol0 wrote

just finished watching E1.

here's a big clue...having the Clash's London Calling at the end is like playing 5 Taylor Swift hit songs. in terms of Hollywood's intentions, and budget. it's a sign of serious intention, cuz the soundtrack went truly nuclear...i am gobsmacked that London Calling got requested AND paid for. do your own research.

so buckle up. i think you'd all be better served by reading what Gibson had to say first, for both novels. but the internet should help with help the fuzzy bits...so maybe TV will be ok. but i'd still recommend the books...i can already confirm it doesn't spoil the TV attempt.

tomcmackay t1_ittyuej wrote

then let's be very clear. like yourself.

this television series has zero chance of living up to the brilliance of it's parent novels. Gibson has that trait. bladerunner has already sucked most of the air out of the onscreen room, and Gibson is simply too prosaic, well past whatever bladerunner tried to teach us about sci fi and androids and our future

tomcmackay t1_itu04ru wrote

u know what?

i did u a favor...i checked out your history, for fun, to see what u were like before posting more

basically, ure intelligent, and maybe influential as far as i can tell. so just read the novels, no gimmicks nor put-downs. i suspect the tv version simply cannot compare to the orginal scriptwriters vision in his head for what took place. if you have any imagination ull agree. it will only take a chapter or two for you to decide yourself