Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Agitated_Ant_1201 t1_ixfdh0e wrote

Massive battle that unless they have verifiable proof will get thrown out or settled. I wish they could make sure YouTubeTV and Hulu TV didn't raise prices

warlordcs t1_ixftk8c wrote

If would be happy enough if they can get YouTube to stop asking of I want premium every time I go in.

grinr t1_ixfvckx wrote

It's not asking, it's harassing.

mator8288 t1_ixgz5wi wrote

Kinda like reddit asking me to use the app everytime I load the site or click into a new thread now.

MissDiem t1_ixhgfrq wrote

Old.reddit.com should fix that up for you

MulciberTenebras t1_ixh5wd9 wrote

Or to switch the new design (no matter how many adblock filters you use to remove that message)

ldnk t1_ixiho08 wrote

Funny story. I signed up for one of those free trials of YouTube Premium as the ads were getting annoying when I was watching on my phone. The intention was to cancel the subscription as soon as the trial expired. I'm 6 months past the expiry and they haven't charged my account yet for it. I will continue to live with this until they charge me.

Yosho2k t1_ixfreiu wrote

The government hasn't used any of its antitrust laws since Microsoft Internet explorer.

Pool_Shark t1_ixhdwdr wrote

Taylor swift and her fans might be forcing them to dust them off against ticket master

ArthurBea t1_ixius5e wrote

Godspeed swifters

Pool_Shark t1_ixj93zl wrote

Seriously. If they pull it off I’ll buy a Taylor swift album as a thanks and idk the last time I bought an album

Agitated_Ant_1201 t1_ixg68q1 wrote

Not really, basically they went after Facebook for Trump and basically made it so they couldn't buy any companies. Antitrust is basically how much of a monopoly can you get before pissing off a political party to where they file a antitrust lawsuit against you.

The whole idea of the 1800s definition of monopoly where you own the materials, the manufacturing, the product and distribution is gone. Why would you want to own the materials or manufacturing since you can get China to do it cheaper and better without the threat of lawsuits?

cronedog t1_ixi2q0z wrote

>Antitrust is basically how much of a monopoly can you get before pissing off a political party to where they file a antitrust lawsuit against you.

Antitrust has nothing to do with monopolies. It's about anti-competitive business practices.

DMonitor t1_ixiglxe wrote

> The whole idea of the 1800s definition of monopoly where you own the materials, the manufacturing, the product and distribution is gone.

That’s also not what a monopoly is. That’s vertical integration.

Agitated_Ant_1201 t1_ixk4eoq wrote

Vertical integration often leads to monopolies and was the old definition of monopolies you fucking moron. Read a textbook.

−2

jl_theprofessor t1_ixfegyt wrote

Good luck losing.

dratseb t1_ixhbnaw wrote

Right? They haven’t even raised prices to keep up with the inflation from the past few years. And D+ operates at a loss.

don51181 t1_ixfquqk wrote

How ironic that Google/Youtube is talking about antitrust. All of their manipulation of search algorithms makes it hard for people to feel sorry for them.

TYsunshine t1_ixg169v wrote

Article doesn't say its Google/Youtube doing this. It's a class action representing YouTube TV Subscribers.

JustinScott47 t1_ixg86l9 wrote

Why are people downvoting a fact???

Mindestiny t1_ixh7cab wrote

Because it disagrees with their anti-corporate circle jerkin'

subjecttomyopinion t1_ixjl3yl wrote

Tried to get a review for my business. Censored.

Had to get a screenshot from my client to just escalate the issue.

Sounds like Google needs some suits.

jogoso2014 t1_ixfcg8s wrote

That wouldn’t be unusual.

I’m assuming they think collusion is an issue.

We learned a while back that if we wanted live tv it was better to just get cable since they have streaming apps.

I don’t quite understand the reason for live-streaming tv even being a thing.

GibsonMaestro t1_ixfmhap wrote

So you can watch live tv on your phone, tablet, and computer

jogoso2014 t1_ixfmqep wrote

Right but those apps are available on regular cable too.

It just doesn’t seem to be the cheaper option anymore.

−11

dandr01d t1_ixfob02 wrote

Then you have to get cable installed, use a horrendous remote, buy a DVR, etc. Or just click a button…

jogoso2014 t1_ixhfl9q wrote

I think a lot of people don’t understand that cable is not the same thing as it was in the 20th century.

Any benefit you get from Hulu Live is available on cable systems now.

I don’t know if it’s cheaper anymore, but the access options are the same at least in my area.

To be clear, I don’t think either option is financially worth it unless you watch a lot of live tv or ESPN, but it seems like if people are paying prices high enough to sue over, it may be a good idea to at least research the alternative.

greenfingers559 t1_ixfpcus wrote

If you have internet in your home, than cable is already installed.

Not that I agree with the other person, but I think it’s hilarious when people believe that streaming is bad for cable companies. Comcast is happy to sell you internet at a made up number.

dandr01d t1_ixfqhh4 wrote

Not true with true fiber

greenfingers559 t1_ixfqrr1 wrote

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

The only way to get internet into your home is to pay one of the companies that provides cable services. (Or wireless, but same company)

−5

dandr01d t1_ixfx2h4 wrote

There are plenty of ISPs that don’t have cable TV. You are insane.

greenfingers559 t1_ixgxw35 wrote

Name one non-satellite ISP that doesn’t operate over major network cable lines.

GibsonMaestro t1_ixfoksw wrote

You can also use the app on a streaming device connected to the tv and forego the monthly cost of a cable box or 3

jogoso2014 t1_ixhf144 wrote

Right. I had it for a time but we just don’t watch a lot of live stuff anymore except sports.

It would cost us about the same price as all of our streaming services combined just to watch a football game every once in a while.

FB_is_dead t1_ixfozp4 wrote

Cable locks you into contracts. Plus the boxes and bullshit they saddle you with.

Live streaming can be canceled at anytime, used anywhere.

jogoso2014 t1_ixhemhj wrote

That’s the thing. You don’t need the box since the have the app.

We got a special deal with our internet provider for cable and we never even got a box. It was just live-streaming. We never really watched it so we cancelled.

However it sounds like the live-streaming prices are worth it.

Techygal9 t1_ixg0nvm wrote

Disney should be investigated for antitrust against movie theaters

Rosebunse t1_ixg7jn2 wrote

Really, they should probably be investigated for just being a monopoly in general.

−8

osmlol t1_ixgwyya wrote

They are not a monopoly though.... They are very big but they have alot of competition in the TV and movie and streaming industries. Ticketmaster is a monopoly for example.

kaenneth t1_ixgvq6w wrote

No one needs anything Disney has a monopoly on in order to live or be productive.

Sure-Ad7730 t1_ixgz7d1 wrote

That's the way this business works. If you don't like it then stop watching Disney. Stop watching ABC, ESPN, Fox, FX, FXX. That's the only thing they pay attention to.

Cancel your Disney Plus subscription?

gaytechdadwithson t1_ixgcqiz wrote

"The suit pits YouTube TV subscribers, who filed the suit on Friday in California federal court, against Disney"

WTF, do YouTube TV subscribers have any idea how much more they are paying than for Hulu and Disney+ combined?

CptNonsense t1_ixil388 wrote

Disney provides linear tv channels. Expensive ones. Now they also run a linear tv service.

djm93 t1_ixhxw41 wrote

$40 fine, Don't do it again!

djLuc46 t1_ixfxvhp wrote

I won’t pay extra for commercials ever the streaming who advertise their new or upcoming stuff!

−1

-Clayburn t1_ixhm7sf wrote

Streaming platforms shouldn't be allowed to create content.

−2

CatProgrammer t1_ixho5td wrote

I think ISPs being in the content production business is a bigger conflict of interest, personally.

-Clayburn t1_ixhuu9u wrote

It is also a conflict, but also ISPs shouldn't exist. Internet should be a public utility.

DisneyDreams7 t1_ixfolml wrote

I wonder if the Government is punishing Disney for firing Bob Chapek lol

−10