Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KitchenReno4512 t1_iwr43j1 wrote

Their UI is BY FAR the best of all the smart tv’s. And it’s not particularly close either. Runs the smoothest. Integrates with my phone the best. Has all the apps.

Samsung and LG’s UI’s are the worst. I have the Frame TV and I actually ended up putting a Roku stick because I hated the ui so much.

Hs39163 t1_iwr9wov wrote

Speaking of their UI, I just found out the other day my TCL Roku tv will let me search for a movie or show and it will check all my apps and tell me which ones have it - and even take me there in one click. Probably a standard feature but it blew my mind and got me so excited. I’ve had the tv for almost 5 years, lol.

jujubanzen t1_iwrgxgx wrote

Honestly that's the absolute best Roku feature hands down. Being able to just search a movie or tv show and see what service has it or where I can rent it is a fucking godsend.

JohnnyAK907 t1_iwruup1 wrote

AppleTV will do this too, which is nice. The app, not the hardware.

epictetusdouglas t1_iwshlvq wrote

I went years before using that voice search button. Not sure why it took me so long.

RealUncleBuck t1_ixctzx0 wrote

There's a search option in the main UI as well, to the left of the channels where you would go for settings.

minusTHEoso25 t1_iwskrj1 wrote

Love my OLED LG but honestly the software is literally a dumpster fire.

Fanfrenhag t1_iwsk3pv wrote

That's my plan as well. I pick up used Roku for 20 bucks or so - they are mostly Roku 3 which is fine since I don't have a 4k tv. One thinks it's in the UK and one in the US so there's a great variety of content. UK is best. (I live in Australia).

I even grabbed a Roku 2 for ten bucks with low expectations, but it seems to work just as well as the Roku 3 and does 1080 just fine.

Although I hate the way they want to control me - and all the rest who do too - the boxes are robust, quality devices with well designed interfaces

Most smart tv's seem flaky not very reliable where their apps are concerned. I'd rather buy a dumb 4k tv and plug in a box but I don't think you can even get them any more

WhipTheLlama t1_iwsr5gl wrote

While Roku is good, I've switched all my TV functionality to a Beelink mini PC. Along with a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo, it's the best way I've found to play any and all media/streaming sources.

Fanfrenhag t1_iwtv85h wrote

That is exactly what I plan to do on my main tv once I get a 4k one. I'll use the Roku boxes on the other tvs...

crystalistwo t1_iwv16wd wrote

Their search function is pretty great too. If I'm on the web, I use justsearch.com, if I'm on the Roku, I don't even think of justsearch.