Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

visionaryredditor t1_iycudzc wrote

i feel like if you didn't like season 3, you wouldn't like the Goofy episode as well. it's a standalone like half of season 3 episodes.

Parlorshark t1_iycvijc wrote

I liked bits and pieces, I just felt that the standalone pieces should have existed outside the series. The one about trini to da bone just doesn’t belong. It should have been a separate short. I watch for the characters, so it just felt like being bait-and-switched. “Now that we’ve got your attention, watch this other story; we’ll get back to Atlanta another time.”

visionaryredditor t1_iycvzsm wrote

> The one about trini to da bone just doesn’t belong.

it fits perfectly into the topics and messages of season 3 tho.

Parlorshark t1_iycw3px wrote

Explain it to me. Maybe I just don’t understand it yet.

visionaryredditor t1_iycygh7 wrote

the consumerism of Black culture by white people. This is one of the overachieving themes of the season and the main theme of the episode. The boy was raised by a Black nanny and he seems interested in Black culture like we see him watching The Proud Family and he genuinely doesn't feel out of place on her funeral, his dad listens to hardcore rap, his mom watches a Black woman doing a make up tutorial and she comes to the funeral with hoop earrings and a Teflar bag. and still, there is some type of hesitation from the parents' side. we see his mom discussing if they should immerse the kid into the Chinese culture because it's "relevant" now. and that's why Chet Hanks is in the episode, he basically is an extreme example of what the kid would grow into.

relations between capitalism and Black people. Basically every episode of the season is about it one way or another. But in Trini 2 Da Bone we see that the nanny basically had to abandon her own kids so she could earn money by working for white family.

pimp_juice2272 t1_iydf17z wrote

That's honestly one of my favorite episodes of season 3. I have a goddaughter that has a nanny and it just kinda hit with me a little.

wjkovacs420 t1_iydhq0z wrote

I think it’s crazy to say those episodes aren’t Atlanta. The fun of the show is the surreal world they’ve built. I don’t think the appeal was ever about the journey the main characters go through, rather them just interacting with the Springfield-esque world they’re in. And those episodes delivered on the weirdness everyone watches for.

OathOfFeanor t1_iydczpn wrote

Honestly then they are right you might not like the final season

I totally feel what you mean, but Atlanta just isn't like other shows

Those episodes that don't fit, some of them are genius. The Goofy Movie episode is one of those.

But your characters aren't even in it.

This is Donald Glover truly getting the freedom to do his thing, and he does it well. But he doesn't conform to the expected mold of a sitcom story arc.