Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nysraved t1_j16ejyx wrote

It feels to me that these types of basic posts always existed, but something about Reddit’s algorithm switched up recently and it’s pushing new posts from r/television and r/movies to people’s home page even though they haven’t really got many upvotes yet.

Whereas before they’d stay buried as new posts that nobody really bothered interacting with unless they were specifically browsing by new

Like even this post, no offense OP but I have no idea why this got pushed to my home page.

xenogi t1_j16w1xl wrote

Yeah, something is up. I just recently unsubbed from rmovies and rtelevision because I've been getting constant questions in my feed. Glad I'm not the only one whose noticed.

botoks t1_j1896gu wrote

And I thought I was crazy. Recently I was checking /r/movies and putting shitton of people on ignore list because of those threads. Like what the hell even is this, I thought it maybe was those blogspam shit websites looking for content to spit out or something.

Jad_On t1_j188s2w wrote

I have been getting quite a lot of Wednesday tv show threads on my home page lately, weirdly enough.

MitchOfGilead t1_j1924gl wrote

It feels like it's definitely happening reddit-wide. I've been tempted to leave r/overwatch because every other post is some stupid question that seems built to farm karma.

antarcticas_king t1_j174eg0 wrote

Something definitely changed since my home feed has been television, television, movie, random subreddit, movie, movie, random subreddit. It’s enough to make me want to unfollow.

botoks t1_j189bzq wrote

If you go directly to /r/movies it's super noticable last few days. Absolute flood of super low effort threads being spammed. Maybe mods decided to strike or something.

DynamicHunter t1_j1aj4n0 wrote

Yup same here just nonstop television and movie questions

mintardent t1_j1aofrp wrote

same! I wasn’t even active in r/television but it’s been pushed onto my page recently

ThinkThink23 t1_j16x52m wrote

>It feels to me that these types of basic posts always existed, but something about Reddit’s algorithm switched up recently

I've noticed the same thing from r/space recently. Every other post on my feed is some idiot on that sub asking "hur dur why explore space what is point"

Its bizarre.

BSG1701 t1_j178457 wrote

100% agreed. I thought it was just lots of teens out of school for the Xmas break, but you're right it's so much recently, it must be something with the algorithm.

abarrelofmankeys t1_j18fb8d wrote

I had to get rid of futurology, glad to know I wasn’t being dramatic about something being weird. There’s definitely been a change or bots in most of the default/mainstream subs. I’m also continuously getting suggested subs I looked at one time, something made fontpage once and now I see every post from just rolled into the shop or whatever. Something is fishy.

maxwon t1_j18nycc wrote

I noticed this across subs. Everyday my top post was “what’s your favorite track 5 from a Taylor Swift album”

Prax150 t1_j195p4t wrote

I'm a mod here and while I don't have any info on reddit's algorithms or anything like that I think part of it is also that the ask reddit style posts are also lowest-common denominator type posts that are largely inoffensive to most people. Perhaps Reddit knows those kinds of things tend to drive engagement and they're algorithmically pushing them up but I think people just like those kinds of prompts too. We've always had posts like that and even have rules to try and curtail the lazier ones (no low effort posts, keeping recommendation requests to the weekly thread, etc).

Not to mention it's kind of a dry time of year for new shows. There's some stuff coming out but it's not like the rest of the year where there'd seemingly be 2-3 big new shows premiering every week, and most of the big shows are done until next year.

Even so have you seen some people on here collectively lose their mind when a flashy big show that a lot of people actually like gets talked about too much for their taste? This sub almost imploded while Andor was on. So I think those kinds of posts are much less controversial for that lot. Or they'll just never be satisfied.

Soupjam_Stevens t1_j18xjdw wrote

the other weird algorithm thing I’ve noticed recently is that if I subscribe to a new sub it’s immediately half of my feed. I recently subscribed to the armored core sub because I wanted to follow updates about the newly announced game and I unsubbed like a day later because my feed was completely flooded with barely upvoted posts from that sub despite me following a ton of other stuff

NanoFin t1_j19mtru wrote

I’m glad it’s not just me. It’s driving me a little crazy because I miss seeing the random AITA and BORU posts I used to see all the time. I’m lucky if I see a couple in a day on my home page.

sizzlinpapaya t1_j18ig3s wrote

I’m suddenly seeing a ton of stuff from television and movies when I didn’t see a ton of it before unless I searched it out.

ardent_wolf t1_j191750 wrote

I don’t even follow this sub and I’ve been seeing it so much lately

ryoon21 t1_j19htjo wrote

Yes! I can’t believe the amount of similar stuff I’ve seen in this and the r/movies sub. It was night and day

Piano_Fingerbanger t1_j17ngtf wrote

I'm pretty sure that at least for mobile they'll push the fastest rising posts from the past hour or two in the subreddits you visit the most to your front page.

articwolph t1_j19gqg6 wrote

Hey it's just Skynet on training wheels, don't you judge it, we all sucked at something when we first started. We also have to be kind to the ai maybe the reddit AI will be nice to humans.......

bflatmusic7 t1_j1a9a75 wrote

Absolutely the same. TV movies and the such are 50% of my after one day.