Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

blvcksheep_sf t1_j4d0f6u wrote

People still tune into Bill Maher?

pho1234 t1_j4dcqf5 wrote

CNN is also considering time travel to go back to when Maher was last relevant

MulciberTenebras t1_j4ddh2m wrote

Well that goes well in step with their new owners at Discovery, who want to go back to 1996 when linear cable programming was the priority. Not streaming.

ParkerLewisDidLose t1_j4e8xan wrote

This comment doesn’t make sense at all. Especially with the way Discovery pushed their streaming app and the amount content it has on it. This was even before the merger with Warner.

−4

WR810 t1_j4fjux2 wrote

>make it 1997 again by magic or time travel

pewpewmcpistol t1_j4dfhk3 wrote

Yeah, I do and he has a sizeable audience. Its a very good political/comedy talk show all things considered. Obviously not perfect, but literally nothing is.

​

• His opening monologue is generally okay. He'll usually have one good joke and fuck up the delivery on another, but its all around fine.
  • His 1v1 interview is highly dependent on the person being interviewed. When its a politician/activist I usually like it, but sometimes he'll have an actor or musician and I struggle to not skip over it.
  • The round table discussion typically the best part of the show. Its usually either a mix of political points of view, or all left points of view. If its all left leaning, Bill usually plays contrarian which is what gets reddit's knickers in a twist and causes fox news to say Bill Maher said XYZ against wokeism!!!11!!!. The diverse discussions are typically the highlight of the show where you can truly see diverse opinions on a subject, which is something I struggle to find anywhere else.

Is Bill a smug ass hole that hates younger generations? Yeah. But then again if you're reading this you're on reddit, which is full of smug ass holes that hate the older generations.

slax03 t1_j4e644m wrote

It gets tiresome watching him shame his audience when they don't like his joke.

Wildera t1_j4fqvzu wrote

Seems like the ending editorial is still the meatiest and funniest content in the current show, even when the takes are too hot. The roundtables are kinda trash now because whoever books the talent has not caught up with the type of people actually driving the conservation these days, the panels often feel surprisingly corporate for how edgy a show it is supposed to be.

Status-Sprinkles-807 t1_j4ehehe wrote

> The diverse discussions are typically the highlight of the show where you can truly see diverse opinions on a subject

If you think discussions between corporate lobbyist #1 vs. CIA agent vs. conservative troll is a diverse set of views then you're incredibly sheltered

PickledBackseat t1_j4d7sut wrote

Yeah, as much as I hate him, he has his audience. And it's not small.

jasonskjonsby t1_j4daun7 wrote

It is smaller than it was 5 years ago. His ratings have been in decline for a while.

Mentoman72 t1_j4gz4a7 wrote

I don't religiously consume his show but I've found it easier to just listen to it as a podcast. Hbo releases an audio form of each episode.

DeedTheInky t1_j4d6atu wrote

I stopped watching a few years back when he had Rand Paul on and not only didn't call him on any of his bullshit but was actually quite chummy with him. It wasn't entirely because of that, but that was kind of the last straw.

slax03 t1_j4e5wfw wrote

Fist bumping Milo Yiannpolos wasn't enough?

SinisterDexter83 t1_j4ewb7w wrote

Oh, it was much worse than a fist bump, Maher actually called him "the new Christopher Hitchens"!!!

DeedTheInky t1_j4e7d1m wrote

That definitely would have done it too, but I don't think I saw that episode lol

ThePopeofHell t1_j4e5eo8 wrote

My mom only pays for hbo so she can watch his show and I get a free log in to hbo max.. interpret that how ever you want by I think that guy sucks. His podcast is remarkably worse than his show.

dragonmp93 t1_j4h572s wrote

He is still pretty popular among the self-described centrist crowd.