Submitted by PooveyFarmsRacer t3_10nmqbd in television

At one point the mother explains to Dr Strauss that they’re specifically looking for the best Jewish therapist, but she never elaborates.

Obviously Judaism is a major theme of the show and the co-creator is Jewish, so I understand why it’s such a big motif. But in-universe it’s clear Sam and his mother have no familiarity with Judaism so why is it important that their doctor be Jewish? Other than the plot reasons, such as framing the protagonist’s familial conflicts

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

XenomorphPorkPieHat t1_j69ssrz wrote

It isn't Sam's mother that says that, it's Sam himself. The show was comparing Allan's situation with the Auschwitz (proxy the holocaust). Sam wanted a Jewish therapist because was under the impression that Jews are naturally better therapist (think Freud), it's a stereotype that he's completely taking seriously, to Sam Allan is an inhuman plaything, a pet, it's the show's way of painting him as a Nazi-like figure.

PooveyFarmsRacer OP t1_j69tfp2 wrote

Thank you, I guess I did misremember. But that’s a great explanation and insight. A demonstration of yet another way Sam objectifies people, and also a reason for Dr Strauss to be targeted at all. And I appreciate that reference to being a “pet,” that line in the show was haunting

Bidcar t1_j69mcve wrote

I’m not sure in the show but it is a common trope that the best doctors are Jewish.

jogoso2014 t1_j6d940r wrote

I thought they explained that.

Sam thinks Jews make better therapists.

AdLeading3217 t1_j69tkg6 wrote

There are a lot of questions people have that the show doesn't really explain. Overall the show was kind of a let down because of this. I would recommend you don't read into anything too much.

zac0002 t1_j69mgl7 wrote

While i havent watched i think its becuase they would understand some issue better by knowing the religion.

−1