Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Fthewigg t1_j6icd3m wrote

A perfect episode of a perfect example of a show that went off totally off the rails.

Season one had so much promise and they scrapped practically everything they were building just to make a jaunt through the funhouse. This show was a spectacular disappointment.

This is possibly the most hit-or-miss show I’ve ever seen. If you like continuous storytelling where plots aren’t dropped at the side of the road for the next weird thing: this show probably isn’t for you.

Edit: took the downvoters a minute, but there you are in all your pathetic fragility. God forbid any of us have an opinion and we don’t just stroke it to the circle jerk. I wish you all understood that I don’t write this to criticize your taste. I’m telling the next likeminded sucker not to buy all the gushing, like I did. It absolutely isn’t for everyone and many will be left incredibly disappointed.

−17

zumera t1_j6iepbo wrote

>Season one had so much promise and they scrapped practically everything they were building just to make a jaunt through the funhouse. This show was a spectacular disappointment.

See I'd say that season one had a great foundation but was entirely too grim to be a multi-season success. The path the show takes in the next two seasons is what makes it incredible.

Fthewigg t1_j6ila9l wrote

It’s the premise of the entire show: how do people deal with tremendous loss? That’s grim. It takes an ages old concept, and applies it in a unique way (instead of war, famine or disease, it’s something supernatural).

It started as an intriguing character study and became a Twilight Zone ripoff, except the wacky, unbelievable shit kept happening to the same characters.

I don’t know anyone who deals with loss by having a dead person in his head, investigating disappearing ponds, or hopping into the death realm not once, but twice. That shit with his dad’s magic song was plenty fucked, too.

By all means, find it incredible. I know you’re not alone and there is zero point arguing taste. I think it was an incredible disaster, and I’m not alone, either.

−6

Kespen t1_j6liv99 wrote

I’m with you. Hated the show and it’s exactly up my alley.

TapedeckNinja t1_j6iq625 wrote

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4550868/?ref_=tt_eps_top

It's the highest-rated episode of the whole series and one of the highest-rated TV episodes on IMDb with a 9.6/10.

Fthewigg t1_j6is3vs wrote

Cool, it’s a great standalone episode, I suppose. If I wasn’t so frustrated with the general insanity of the shows “direction,” I might appreciate it better.

Other than the characters, please tell me how it connects to season one. My point is story continuity, and the lack thereof.

You Leftovers fans are just so precious. If more people watched your show (like, give it the viewership of Sopranos or Breaking Bad), those numbers would absolutely plummet. People who like a show enough to keep watching rate it high? Who could’ve possibly guessed?

What would it be if everyone watched it?

I think Breaking Bad is spectacular and I think the rating of Ozymandias is way too high, so…

−7