Submitted by damniyam t3_10q6zof in television

An Apple TV show, “Dark Matter,” is being filmed on my street, and they are using my patio as part of the set. They’ll be here for four (4) days and offered a $200 inconvenience fee. However, I work from home and am worried this could add extra noise.

Would it be appropriate to request a bit more money as this adds an extra inconvenience? Should I just ask to be in the show?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

the_mighty_hetfield t1_j6o7etj wrote

Do you own the property? Did you already give them permission to film there?

And four days? You should ask for much more.

quanfused t1_j6o7gez wrote

Sure. They can accept if your asking amount is reasonable. Otherwise, they will decline and may even film elsewhere. There goes your inconvenience fee.

As for being an extra, highly doubt it due to additional paperwork and liability unless you don't care and just want to be in a scene. Even then, they could cut you out in post.

Good luck regardless!

testingtor t1_j6o80wc wrote

Dont ask to be in the show, you get nothing out of that and theyll be able to edit you out anyway, but 50 bucks a day is also basically nothing so if you dont think thats worth it ask for more. Unless you already agreed that is.

tin_dog t1_j6o89ml wrote

I don't know the numbers in the US, but $200 per day would be the absolute lowest I'd go and that's a bargain.

fireranger78 t1_j6o9f85 wrote

I’ve had commercials film at my house and it is usually $1000-$1500 per day for the house. I would ask for $500 per day for the front porch

anasui1 t1_j6o9ryj wrote

don't know how reimbursements are in the US, or if it's the same situation, but when a tv shot an episode for a show in the restaurant I worked in, 12 hours straight, boss asked and got a full day's receipts since no customers could come in, £2k. I say shoot high and see how it goes

mickeyflinn t1_j6of25y wrote

I wouldn't let my house be include in a TV show for 10,000 a day. Look no further than the pizza shit that goes on with the Breaking Bad house for how much you don't want that mess.

kamrali t1_j6oun2p wrote

You can ask, at worst they'll go to another location and you're out the inconvenience fee.

I work from home too and if a TV crew, from Apple no less, asked to use my front porch/yard for 4 days I'd ask for $2000.

Since they're using your street, you neighbors may have gotten the same offer. Unionize and ask for $500 a day each.

benjaminmayo t1_j6p7pt4 wrote

Assuming you own the rights to the land, you can charge whatever. Worst they’ll do is back out. These projects have huge budgets; I’d gamble they can afford a much higher figure. $200 for four days is cheap.

zozospencil t1_j6pdy93 wrote

Oooh, this is the one based on the Blake Crouch novel. I’d take the $200 and happily make my friends watch it to see my patio 😂. Pretty cool.

2oonhed t1_j6pj8cf wrote

Not if you already agreed.
If you have NOT agreed yet :
You might ask them to paint something, or power wash your patio.
But if you are worried about noise interfering with your production, just say no.
Patios and houses and yards are a dime a dozen.
I doubt yours is THAT special.