Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KimACady t1_jdulf7p wrote

These answers Crack me up. Here's the thing, you aren't going to sign her tax form as a paid preparer (unless you are a fucking idiot). There's nothing the IRS even cares to do to you. She is responsible for her taxes and the IRs will address the issue with her.

My advice is to let her do her own taxes. I expect they are simple enough. Should she somehow get you involved and the IRS contacts you just be completely honest. Heck, you can even refer them to this post.

One last thing with respect that her comment that her "work knows more than you do". That is most likely true AND THAT IS WHY THEY INCLUDED THE BONUS AS TAXABLE INCOME ON HER W2.

YogurtclosetActual75 t1_jduqu9s wrote

Exactly. All you need to do is nothing. You didn't submit a false return. You've done nothing wrong. Let her do whatever she pleases. The bummer is that she'll likely get away with it. The IRS is unlikely to audit her.

other_usernames_gone t1_jdvtasx wrote

Isn't there a scheme where you can report someone to the IRS and get a cut of any extra tax money they get?

Depending how petty he is he could do that.

lucky_ducker t1_jdwmr21 wrote

When you are breaking up with someone you want to **DE-**escalate, not escalate.

YogurtclosetActual75 t1_jdvwfxx wrote

He'd still be on the hook for what he owes.

other_usernames_gone t1_jdw1y4e wrote

But he doesn't owe anything. He'd still do his taxes correctly. It's just he can pass the tip on to the IRS that his ex has committed tax fraud

KimACady t1_jduyjii wrote

I was wondering about that. I can't see the IRS auditing her, either. However if she were to take that 3500 bonus off her income wouldn't the IRS immediately flag the discrepancy between her W2 and what she reported as income. I mean, that has to be automated by now!

One time several years (when I still did my taxes completely by hand) ago I mistakenly flipped two digits when I adding my wife's and my W2 taxable income. Within about 1 month I got a notification from the IRS notifying me of the discrepancy along with a check for the additional refund that resulted from my error. I'm confident that the IRS would handle her return similarly.

YogurtclosetActual75 t1_jduz174 wrote

I think you're probably right. I didn't think about the discrepancy between the return and the w2. If she e-files, the return might get rejected from the get-go. Either way, none of it is OP's problem.

horshack_test t1_jdwmlsy wrote

This was my first thought as well, and I don't understand how / why it wasn't OP's.

gunfart t1_jdwsbmx wrote

that's what i was trying to figure out. dude is scared that the irs is going to crack down on him for his ex filling out her tax prep form wrong. like, what? is your name on this thing anywhere? nope! unless you're a moron and stated that you filled it out for her. which you shouldn't have..

your response to the irs: "no, i didn't fill out her tax prep forms"