Submitted by lordoffoleshill t3_122hooc in tifu

Obligatory this didn't happen today, but a week ago on St Patrick's day.

Me and my housemates threw a house party last week for St Patrick's day, and invited a load of people over to get drunk and have a bit of fun. For some reason, a lot of the night comprised of my friends slapping each other across the cheek, something I was not particularly fond of. After a few drinks however, someone challenged me to slap him as hard as possible. At first I declined, but as the Guinness and jamesons flowed into my bloodstream, a bad idea took over my head and I decided to get into a slapping competition with someone half a foot taller than me. He said it was fine for me to slap him as hard as possible, I was presuming on the cheek, so I did. I then backed out, nervous at the thought of being hit by him. He gave my some reassurance, saying that he'd give me a "little slap on the cheek." We were both drunk at this point and what followed was a full power smack directly on the ear, followed by a total loss of hearing in my ear. I now have pretty much permanent tinnitus in my ear and have lost the low frequencies in my hearing on that ear.

At first I thought it was a perforated ear drum, but having visited the audiologist, they think it's either middle or inner ear damage, which requires surgery to repair. The waiting list is over a year, if it's even fixable.

Look after your ears people!

TL;DR: I got into a slapping competition against someone bigger than me and now have lost part of my hearing in one ear

Comments