Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rumblesnort t1_jdypchj wrote

I think the adage "the plumbers have the worst pipes at home" applies to relationship therapists/psychiatrists/psychologists. I've seen this more than a few times. You'd think there would be a study on this somewhere, don't believe these experiences are unique.

debbieae t1_jdzvfv3 wrote

My mom is a therapist. She is the one who joked that therapists need to be just slightly crazier than their patients.

I think more than a few therapists are drawn to study psychology to try to understand themselves.

NonZeroDave OP t1_jdyqdiz wrote

I’d definitely be interested in reading that study if they published one haha

itsallminenow t1_jdzif63 wrote

Many years ago my dad went for his annual account review with the bank manager, back in the days when bank managers knew their customers individually and were the literal managers of their branch. He gave my father advice on his money, at which point my father said, "You're very good at this, your own finances must be in great shape"

The manager replied, "God no, I'm great with other people's money but I'm awful with my own."

It appears to be a truism that you don't have to have good personal behaviour to give good advice.

Jboycjf05 t1_je07737 wrote

Honestly, it makes sense. When you're making a lot of mistakes, you get really good at figuring out how to fix or avoid them.

Kcnflman t1_jdznv98 wrote

Can confirm. Ex is a therapist and now I really need therapy!

Vast_Reflection t1_jdzmfpg wrote

It used to be “the cobbler’s kids don’t have shoes”

But yes.

ThadisJones t1_je0377h wrote

Many experts recommend professional therapists also utilize regular therapy in order to make sure they aren't going off the rails.

Then their providers also need therapy, and hey, it's therapists all the way down.

NonZeroDave OP t1_je0aaxk wrote

Yeah she told me she goes to therapy at least once a week, hopefully she can figure things out