Submitted by LockStockNL t3_z9imu4 in tifu

Obligatory "this didn't happen today but a few years ago"

My then-girlfriend (now wife) and I were happily cruising down the highway when another car passed us on the left. I was driving and I happened to look over to the car passing us and I couldn't really register what I was seeing. So I told my girlfriend;

"Euhm honey, I think the front passenger is tied to his seat with duct tape..."

Knowing me she went "suuuuure mate" but as I was pretty convinced what I saw I gave it a bit of gas and we pulled back up next to the other car.

And we both clearly saw an older man, wrapped in cellophane and it looked like he was tied to his seat with a large amount of duct tape.

Our initial reaction was a sincere and powerful "What. The. Fuck.". And we quickly decided there was a good chance this guy was not in that position by choice. I mean, who enjoys being duct-taped to a seat covered in cellophane, right?

what do now?

We considered trying to stop the other car, but that would be a massively stupid idea. So we called the police, who of course took it very seriously very quickly. After relaying where we were driving and the details of the other car and both occupants (the elderly taped up guy and a younger adult male driving) we took our exit. Afterwards I did feel that was really an asshole move on our part, we should have stayed with them until the police were there. In our meager defense we were driving to the notary to sign for our new house and the police did assure us that a patrol car was almost there, but looking back we could have gotten to the appointment a bit later to make sure help actually arrived for this poor poor man in that horrible situation. But alas.. We took our exit, signed for our house and during the trip back we talked about what the fuck just happened and we wondered how it had ended.

And around that time the police called!

I got suspicious/relieved when I heard that the officer on the other end of the line was sounding quite amused. He told me that the patrol car wasn't able to locate them on the highway (which made me feel like even a bigger asshole about taking that exit) but they did go to the address the license plate was registered to where they found the car in the driveway. They went up to house, rang the bell and the alleged driver of the car opened the door. The younger adult male. Who was the son of the older gentleman. The older gentleman who apparantly has a rare skin disorder which requires periodic treatment and part of this treatment is being wrapped in some sort medical cellophane using bandages that look like duct tape. According to the police they were invited into the house where they confirmed the story and met with this very surprised father :') In the end all was well, the police and us had a good laugh about it, we did apologize profusely for tying up precious resources because we were dumbasses and that was it.

I realize this is not a huge FU, but for some reason I remembered this today and thought it to be a unique enough story to be posted here. :)

TL;DR Thought we saw a kidnapped guy in a car, wrapped in cellophane and tied to his seat. Called the police and it turned out it was just someone coming back from treatment for a rare skin disease

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SummerStorm21 t1_iyh1fl7 wrote

How could you have known? Definitely did the right thing. Great story!

Poekienijn t1_iygzzw1 wrote

This is not a FU. You did the right thing.

Ereaxia t1_iyhbba4 wrote

LBR I give it 10:1 odds that plastic-mummy-man was the highlight of their whole shift and is now a legend at that station/office:

1. Genuinely concerning thing to check on/save somebody (whether their outlook is wildly skewed, most cops on some level likely at least think they're in this to help people).

2. Family is not rude/domestic situation is not actually violent (sounds like they were mostly perturbed/amused themselves).

3. Completely fine and chill old dude wrapped in cellophane and duct tape is FUNNY AS FUCK (especially when you originally thought you were responding to domestic violence/elder abuse, which are both very stressful and usually have no clear OR good outcome).

4. Randos worried about old dude wrapped in cellophane and duct tape is EXTRA FUNNY AS FUCK (but still good they said something when they were worried about it?)

5. Get to tell all the rookies about it for the next 30-40 years "HEY BILL REMEMBER THAT DUDE WRAPPED IN CELLOPHANE AND DUCT TAPE?" "YEAH DUDE THEY THOUGHT THE POOR PLASTIC MUMMY MAN WAS KIDNAPPED THAT WAS THE BEST CALL WE ANSWERED THAT YEAR!"

weissmanhyperion t1_iyh8ynt wrote

We all have to do our part to prevent human trafficking. Sometimes its just a misunderstanding, everyone has a laugh. Sometimes we save a life.

Everyone involved was okay, we'll take that win.

Tanagrabelle t1_iyh8o6o wrote

That's a great story, and like the others I've seen, well done!

ChocolateUnlucky1214 t1_iyheyan wrote

Petition to change subreddit name from TIFU (Today I Fucked Up) to SMLFUBIOPAT (Some Time in my Life i fucked up but I'm only posting about it now)?

Pr1ncesszuko t1_iyhs5bb wrote

Could you pick which initials appear more randomly 😂😂

twixter8327 t1_iyhwom7 wrote

No fuck up, you did the right thing you could not have known.

Contank t1_iyix11v wrote

You did the right thing in that situation. The police found it funny but really they were probably just happy it was a false alarm. False alarms are also not a waste of resources as it was not a prank there was genuine reason to believe there was an issue

penderhippy t1_iyhgqjq wrote

wow that's fucking hilarious

and good on you, you're good people

NukeWarz t1_iyi84f0 wrote

damn, these kidnappers are getting crafty

chewytime t1_iyht5ei wrote

Where did this happen? Surprised they tracked them down. Last time I called the cops was in reference to a hit and run I was in where the other guy peeled off after I checked on him. Was waiting around for hours before anyone called me back and no one showed up. Even after filing a police report, nothing ever came from it.

LockStockNL OP t1_iyhte02 wrote

In the Netherlands, the police here are pretty nice

chewytime t1_iyhtkx7 wrote

That makes so much sense now. Didn’t think they would’ve handled it that delicately in the US. Probably would’ve sent in a SWAT team.

dsly4425 t1_iykj2v0 wrote

And the old man would have probably been mistaken for someone of a slightly less than ivory complexion and somehow killed in the crossfire between them and the unarmed driver.

ANTImunky89 t1_iyl3v9k wrote

I didn't even know that was a treatment till now