Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Akairichii t1_j6jm27p wrote

Where in the world is today end or near end of the school year? Your story sounds like someone making up terrible excuses if this was true. Paper to cover up uniform? Students unplanned dressing up as Jews (wtf does that even mean anyway... Concentration camp uniforms, Star of David displayed)? Either that or you all are some insensitive children.

I don't buy this one bit.

semisweetnothings t1_j6lvej4 wrote

I agree with you. I have never heard of a high school allowing students to wear whatever costumes they want. Maybe a “spirit week” with set themes but not random costumes. Seems made up.

If this it true… OP, your best bet is to humbly apologize, reflect upon why you thought this would be appropriate, and switch schools.

Akairichii t1_j6n36o9 wrote

I know that in the UK, kids are given a day to dress up to celebrate the end of the year but that's not until mid summer which made me believe this story less.

GsTSaien t1_j6lldm8 wrote

They are kids. Kids are dumb sometimes. Let them be edgy as long as they grow out of it.

Plenty of people do way worse, like using slurs as comedy constantly. The issue was publicly displaying this edgyness, as it can become a dog whistle for actual racists and then it is no longer just kids messing around.

I say it was insensitive, but I understand why they thought it was funny; I hope they can learn from this and earn their respect back by being more sensitive in the future.

−3