Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

fbpw131 t1_j8vrsv6 wrote

mountain dew? massive d? mega dinosaur? McDonalds?

MyDadsGlassesCase OP t1_j8vrw0k wrote

I don't think MD is a recognised abbreviation of any of those

edit: in fact, as a Scotsman I can categorically state that MD has never been an abbreviation for the name McDonald. McD, yes, but never MD

−83

my4coins t1_j8vsihm wrote

As an European i would prefer alternative examples to MD.

MyDadsGlassesCase OP t1_j8vtfap wrote

We're the same with postcodes in the UK. Edinburgh is EH but Croydon is CR, even though there is no CN. And Shetland is ZE (but, in their defence that's cos the council was called Zetland until 1975. Still confuses everyone nowadays though)

sinmantky t1_j8vx0ig wrote

Still better than the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event

WarhawkCZ t1_j8w2jnz wrote

The article forgets to mention that the wave was about three quarts of doughnut per bold eagle fast.

EternallyFascinated t1_j8w4qpo wrote

Dont worry - just location based Google search results. That wouldn’t come up here - In Italy - for example. It was a very American centric example, but no harm done dude. People can look it up or just ask for clarification. But sometimes these things serve to show us our biases! This is coming from an American who’s lived abroad for 10+ years. Every country sees the world through its own lens, but America being the big bad cultural coloniser makes us sometimes think the whole world will understand ours.

Very interesting fact though - Have a great day!

LaoBa t1_j8w9xlc wrote

Netherlands was HUGE at the time!

Karl-Hevacheck t1_j8wdw4z wrote

Saved you a click: MD stands for Mesolithic Doggerland

Killawife t1_j8wfgsp wrote

Oh no! Not MD! Well, at least we still have Burger King.

AnthillOmbudsman t1_j8wmslc wrote

Looking at that image I guess that would have been a really bad time to be living on Doggerland.

LucienSatanClaus t1_j8wx1dy wrote

TIL is not an American subreddit. Please clarify what MD is.

Alexander_Selkirk t1_j8xezor wrote

Would an event like that today have an effect on nuclear power plants?

Jahavan t1_j8y1nht wrote

Did it say how big the wave was estimated to be?

Dolly_gale t1_j8ybida wrote

My attempt at summarizing:

There's a relatively shallow part of the North Sea between Great Britain and continental Europe. Some of this area was above sea level during ice ages, and that area is called Doggerland. It's believed to have been a full land bridge at one point, but it became islands as the sea level changed. Its largest island, referred to as Mesolithic Doggerland (MD), might have been inhabited until about 8000 years ago. Land slides in Norway probably caused tsunamis, including a major one called the Storegga tsunami. The tsunamis could have wiped out the inhabitants there or at least led to their decline.

The Doggerland entry on Wikipedia suggests that it isn't fully known how quickly the sea level changed at times.

Sgt_major_dodgy t1_j8ychhb wrote

Everyone is focused on MD and yet my dumb arse was trying to figure out what the fuck BD meant in time.

moonshineriver t1_j8yei1r wrote

My MD isn’t even that big. He isn’t 6 foot and he isn’t fat.

TacoCommand t1_j8ylbb3 wrote

Is this where the Welsh legends of "the drowned land" derive?

I remember this being a big thing in Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" series.

chemistrychicken t1_j8z2mc9 wrote

Brain: MD? Mebraska'd? Michiganed? Mmmdddd? What state is that?

VeryJoyfulHeart59 t1_j8zbfsb wrote

Correct me if I have misunderstood, but I believe this article says that the tsunami caused the actual Mesolithic Doggerland (MD) to become submerged; not "an area of land the size of" it.

smgator t1_j8zhb0p wrote

Lol I thought Maryland too

BrisbanePom t1_j90f73x wrote

I guess that’s why the area is referred to as Dogger.

Mammoth-Mud-9609 t1_j92v6sd wrote

Well in this case the land flooded, but they might not all have died some might have made it to land in boats, but the flood was so sudden many would have died. Nearly a quarter of a million people died in a similar event on Boxing day 2004 and they were even more advanced and that didn't save them.

HBPhilly1 t1_j9adzyi wrote

Arghhhh. As a non Marylanderer, I am more confused as to why you haven't been using the marylandtric system in relation to area. Like I bought home yesterday, nothing big just a 4 bedroom-5 bath bungalow and when I asked the size the realtor just said smaller than a Maryland but big enough for a few Marilyn's if you catch my dick. We laughed for a few minutes and then I paid cash and left the gas station with a smile.