Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

craZbeautifuldisastr t1_j9l894u wrote

Right? There's definitely kids being kids and then there's kids like me who grow up not knowing how to set boundaries, becoming a people pleaser to the extent that I have trouble making decisions without input from others, and I'm pretty sure I've been anxious since my first spanking. I am working on my conflict avoidance and being assertive.

I also started learning that most of my anxiety and depression triggers are directly linked to my ADHD behaviors/symptoms. So even the counselor I started seeing for those almost 10 yrs ago missed all the signs. It took going through a communications worksheet with our premarital counselor who specializes and has it himself to suggest I get evaluated. I always thought I maybe had a twinge just being so talkative and forgetful but the more I've learned... it's been right there front and center my whole life. And I was a child so I didn't have the words to explain how I felt or understand that what I was dealing with wasn't "just me". I'm not lazy like my mom said, I'm not broken or deficient... my husband has described it best, he said it's like being left handed in a right handed world. I just have to learn to do the differently in a way that works WITH my brain and not fight against it so much.

I'm sorry you went through that accusation as a child, it couldn't have been fun and if it had been me, I'd have taken it very personally even at 7. At least someone cared enough to at least suggest you get checked just in case though. Grass is always greener as they say.