Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

tossinthisshit1 t1_j9lworo wrote

it will run for as long theaters exist. when nobody is showing movies in theaters anymore, someone will bring a projector and some paper to some old abandoned cinema and play the movie. and people will show up.

buckphifty150150 t1_j9n3tzz wrote

Y do they do that tho? Is it just to keep it alive? Was it a great movie? Did it ever get released outside of movie theaters?

Mr_TurkTurkelton t1_j9na1sm wrote

It was one of the first “cult classic” movies and was a regular for midnight showings at theaters. According to my folks, going to these midnight shows was the equivalent of Netflix and chill. The people who would go to those showings would see the movie enough that they memorized the lines, dress up like the characters then say the lines aloud with the movie; almost like a show within a show. Combine that with the theme of drag and makeup, it made parents mad/uncomfortable; cementing it in film lore for the rest of our years

Ironically it bombed initially and grew to become one of the most popular cult classic films ever. It stuck around long enough for it never really fade away and then suddenly become cool again—through multiple generations.

Little-Variation8268 t1_j9nujre wrote

Face it, the movie kinda sucked. Audience participation is where it's at. About 20 years ago, my gf at the time, we went to Blockbuster (remember those?) and rented a copy. We watched it, i practiced the lines, I learned when to throw what items at the screen, all that good stuff. After a few days of practice we went to the theater. If you didn't know the moves, it was very obvious. People referred to 1st timers as 'losing their virginity.' Being inside the theater and being part of the audience was a silly yet exhilarating experience. I've only done that once. It's nothing I look to do again, it was kinda her thing. But I am glad I did it once.

−11

sooprvylyn t1_j9onr1u wrote

The movie doesnt suck. Its a bit campy, but its far from suck.

SweetNeo85 t1_j9pr25y wrote

It definitely has things about it that suck for a lot of audiences. For fans though, those things are just part of the charm.