Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

loztriforce t1_je10l79 wrote

We’re good at taking the smart people from other countries

YeahitsaBMW t1_je3p8cn wrote

They are smart enough to want to live here, is that what you mean? It isn't just an accident of birth but truly intelligent people desire to live here?

Good point.

_jimbo- t1_je4t91m wrote

Maybe it's a great place for innovation. Investments etc. Does that necessarily mean a great place for everyone?

−1

YeahitsaBMW t1_je5ynne wrote

Is anywhere a great place for everyone? That is not an adult expectation you have there…

Common_Technologies t1_je177m0 wrote

USA also houses most of the top universities in the world.

Successfully collects the best from the world.

OldMork t1_je1qi56 wrote

also pulled off some of the largest projects ever, such as moon landing, it somehow must have inspired or generated awards direct or indirect.

whatafuckingbummer t1_je3or7b wrote

Wright brothers flight doesn’t get the recognition it deserves (historically, it’s like domesticated animals or computers), and iron/steel production. I’d bet there are tons of civilizations all over the galaxy that go through a steel-production phase.

Zlifbar t1_je3wr48 wrote

Does that number include the ones we imported?

xopranaut t1_je0zo5t wrote

Here’s the per capita figures. Try guessing the top three before clicking the link!

RedHand1917 t1_je2bas2 wrote

Methinks there might be some bias here. I'm not saying Sweden isn't awesome, but the fact that they are so high on the list while also being the home of the committee members (for 5 prizes) is suspicious.

xopranaut t1_je2bv1d wrote

Haha, I’m sure they’re very helpful in reminding their colleagues of the nomination process and criteria.

snow_michael t1_je1qerk wrote

I was expecting Iceland to be in the top 3

But given the Faroes are not a country, they do make it into the top 5

And the UK does squeeze into the top ten :)

[deleted] t1_je1nguk wrote

[deleted]

−5

xopranaut t1_je1oa82 wrote

Not sure how this helps us interpret the Nobel Prize numbers to be honest, but you be you.

[deleted] t1_je1ogux wrote

[deleted]

xopranaut t1_je1pfzz wrote

Is per capita a subject now?

[deleted] t1_je1pr7i wrote

[deleted]

xopranaut t1_je1q87s wrote

But in the context of your post:

• an area of knowledge that is studied in school, college, or university

ibid

[deleted] t1_je1qthk wrote

[deleted]

−1

xopranaut t1_je1qy85 wrote

Please refer to the title of the post for the subject under discussion.

Marcultist t1_je2srup wrote

Have you really never been part of a conversation that naturally flowed into other topics? You brought up per cap, and that other person got excited for it and brought up something also per cap related. Conversations deviate from the original topic, it's okay.

xopranaut t1_je4etf9 wrote

Oh I have, but I’ve also been a part of conversations where a troll tries to turn a discussion into a flamewar by changing the subject and cherry picking data. The easiest way to close them down is to pull them back to the original topic which they weren’t really interested in. They soon get bored and look for someone else to troll.

Marcultist t1_je7a4sg wrote

It didn't appear to me that they were debating you. I saw it as supporting the importance of per cap data.

henrysmith78362 t1_je1kn4v wrote

An interesting series of talks by Neal Tyson about the decline of Islamic scientific efforts and why the Jews have won so many more Nobel Prizes. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=neil+tyson+moslim+don%27t+win+nobel+prize

cruise991 t1_je3tz9h wrote

Don't wanna burst your bubble but neil has 0 idea what he's talking about when it comes to the arabic golden age. Which always astounds me. He knows he doesn't have enough data to speak on the subject, but he goes ahead and does it. That's clearly lying no? Someone should give him a nobel prize.

Also here if you're interested. Im no big fan of this guy but at least he does a decent job refuting the BS of NDT https://youtu.be/nfRnYNig9jU

811545b2-4ff7-4041 t1_je50ynp wrote

My take on it is (and I'm Jewish myself) we rode on the back of the German/European industrial and scientific revolution. Our population is historically educated and literate, but not scientific. Some parts were wealthy due to a strong history of trading and finance. It was an affluent and succesful, if minority, part of the pre-WW1 European population. As Europe succeded at science - so did the Jews. Bring on the rise of facism in Germany, and you get the Jews who could, leaving and going to other place - most notibly the USA. So.. you take them to a well-funded, scientific favourable country and they keep winning Nobel prizes. Nuclear bombs and rocket science.. perfected in the USA with European talent driving it.

I don't actually think you'll see it happen anymore; as jobs in science aren't as favourable within the Jewish community (outside of Israel) as they have been.

Landlubber77 t1_je0ylnm wrote

It's not surprising then that it is also the country with the most people to accidentally bite into the Nobel Prize thinking it was one of those chocolate coins with a gold wrapper.

−2

sugar_addict002 t1_je24kb4 wrote

Maybe, over time. But I doubt we are now or will bein the future. Thanks to the Republicans, we are devolving.

−2

YeahitsaBMW t1_je3pfx1 wrote

You understand that the definition of a conservative is someone that wants things to remain the same, where as a progressive wants change.

Tell me who is to blame again?

sugar_addict002 t1_je57v1v wrote

Republicans haven't been controlled by conservatives in a long time. Republican are to blame for America's devolution, as well as Moderate Democrats.

YeahitsaBMW t1_je5yypw wrote

No. It is quite clearly the liberal agenda pushed by the extreme left wing of the democrat party. What is a woman? If can’t answer that without being a biologist, you might be part of the problem.

ElfMage83 t1_je7vnlq wrote

>the extreme left wing of the democrat party

The Democratic Party is in the center at best. If that's “the extreme left wing” then you're off the charts to the right.

YeahitsaBMW t1_je82ocm wrote

>the extreme left wing of the democrat party

There is also an extreme left wing of the Republican party... Just like there is an extreme right of the Democratic party.

ElfMage83 t1_je95sko wrote

My point is that nothing about regular American politics is “extreme left”. If only.

sugar_addict002 t1_je6rdnv wrote

you are nuts

turn off Fox before they convince you that slavery is natural and normal an the America way

−1

YeahitsaBMW t1_je6z6eh wrote

Remind me again, which is the party of Lincoln? Was he a southern Democrat?

sugar_addict002 t1_jea3dus wrote

Remind me again. how disingenuous, dishonest and mediocre republicans can be. Oh you just did.

−1

YeahitsaBMW t1_jea74b3 wrote

If I was a member of the party that fought for slavery, believe me, I would try to fucking gas light everyone by coming up with every reason in every book to distance myself from them. Including aliens, lizard people, and a "party swap" that most certainly never happened.

Democrats are still every bit as racist as they have ever been, they are just better at hiding it.

Remind me how delusional, false....nevermind. You know where this is going.

sugar_addict002 t1_jeaohr2 wrote

People who vote for the democrats know who's really gas-lighting. You can have those who believe your bullshit.

YeahitsaBMW t1_jearrt4 wrote

>People who vote for the democrats know who's really gas-lighting

Do you though? Cause it really doesn't seem like it, or it is even worse than I thought.

sugar_addict002 t1_jebsb3x wrote

comically absurd you are

and lame

no surprise there

YeahitsaBMW t1_jebsi00 wrote

Thanks Yoda!

You have run out of talking points, bummer. Back to MSNBC with you!

sugar_addict002 t1_jebxb4n wrote

Your "I know you are but what am I " routine has already been done.

YeahitsaBMW t1_jecgq5p wrote

Yeah by democrats since they lost the fight on civil rights.

[deleted] t1_je10hg7 wrote

[deleted]

−4

Key_Strategy_8526 t1_je1csha wrote

That just demonstrates how statistics with a small sample size are easily skewed and doesn't speak to any accomplishment of the Faroe Islands scientific community.

henrysmith78362 t1_je1l44e wrote

It is not necessarily where the person is from but in which country they did the work that got them the prize.